Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

Monkey Mia here I go again

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 4 December 2007 | Views [680] | Comments [4]

After a few very relaxing days in Cervantes we headed north to Geraldton to hire a car. The hostel was almost as nice as the one we stayed in in Perth so I was glad to be leaving after one night. The road to kalbarri national park was supposed to be boring but finally I felt as thought I had reached the Australia of my imagination (i.e. the movies) where continuous red earth meets continuous blue sky. I loved Kalbarri. Despite it being off season and way too hot (36C) to be trekking around looking at gorges, cliffs and rocks it was still amazing.

We had to return the car to Geraldton unfortunately and the bus was two and half hours late so I was a sad and tired wee soul by the time we arrived at Monkey Mia. MM is a resort in Shark Bay. It's a lovely spot, but it's nothing all that special expect for one thing. One animal has made the place famous. Now you might think it's a monkey, because that would make sense, but we're in Aus so it doesn't make sense and it's not a monkey. It's dolphins. Each day wild dolphins come into the beach to be hand fed. It's been happening there for thirty years and they show up almost without fail. I wasn't sure about the ethics of it, but they are beautiful and we were lucky enough to be there when one of the mamma dolphins had her baby with her. It was a gorgeous wee thing, a couple of feet long. There's nothing else to do in MM except eat drink and work on your tan. It's a popular place.

At last public transport let us down. We wanted to go on to Coral Bay and Exmouth but the shuttle buses don't run everyday and we had no choice but to head on further north to meet our flight in Broome. It's disappointing because I'm not sure I'll get the chance to come back here, but we've done so much already I can't really complain. It's hot and getting hotter and I've perfected the Aussie Salute (waving your hand across the face to chase off the gazillion flies). But at least it's not the wet season... yet.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

 

Comments

1

Great to get the next installment, but you sound a bit like Pricilla Queen of the Desert!!!! Pics - PLEASE!!!!!

  Mum Dec 4, 2007 10:57 PM

2

MM sounds gorgeous....and awwww, dolphins...sweet! And pleeeeeeease send us some of that Aussie sunshine?
Take care mate, miss ya!
xx

  Sue Dec 5, 2007 8:37 PM

3

I hear you on the sunshine, Sue. The way things are going I may need to ask Santa for a copy of "Ark Building for Dummies".....

  shaesh Dec 6, 2007 3:03 AM

4

I remember a girl I used to work with saying she & her hubby had asked directions from Perth to Monkey Mia. The Aussie guy said "You go up that road and take the first turning on the left." Several hours later they still hadn't come to it ...
I'm so enjoying your blog, it's fabulous - descriptive, entertaining, exciting, beautifully written and illustrated ... shall I start contacting the publishing houses now, or wait until you get to NZ?

  Dee Dec 16, 2007 8:36 PM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.