Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

Up the boomerang

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 30 October 2007 | Views [683] | Comments [10]

We left Sydney in the middle of a terrible thunderstorm that seems to be chasing us up the coast. You can take the girl out of the Weege but the weather will obviously follow her.

Byron Bay was nice. It had been described to me as hippyish, but it's not really. Sure you can have a photograph taken of your aura there, but it's more about the beach than anything else. It must be given the number of shaggy haired surfer boys swaggering around with only their board shorts clinging to their beach bums and the large groups of impossibly bouncy teenage girls enrolled in surf camp. I feel ancient. I got IDed at the pub - the only time I didn't bother taking my passport with me. When I got back with it the doorman said "awwwwww, you're old! You need to grow up a bit!"

We got all oour plans for the next two weeks on the east coast sorted while we were in Byron and then it was time to move on to Brisbane. Easier said than done, because the clocks went forward the night before we left Byron Bay. The sign in the hostel said "just to spin ya out today everything will happen one hour faster". Nae wurries. But the bus north was an hour later than scheduled and yet arrived in Brisbane at the same time. All eventually became clear - Queensland doesn't have daylight savings in summer. It's a reminder of exactly how far and wide I'm travelling.

Brisbane was extremely comfortable except for the heat. I can't imagine what it would be like in summer. Unbearable, I suspect. Queensland is as mad and as lovely as I expected it to be. We took the bus to Noosa today and will visit Australia Zoo tomorrow.

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

Comments

1

Ahhhhhh Noosa. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

  Cat Oct 30, 2007 7:40 PM

2

Yes.....but can you have your photo taken with shaggy haired surfer boys?
And yes, Noosa.....sigh.

  Sue Oct 31, 2007 12:04 AM

3

These guys really know how to give a girl a lift - even a little one - you should have told him you were a Scottish Pygmy. What's so special about Noosa or need I ask!! Have fun,
Missing you
Love and Huggles

  Mum Oct 31, 2007 1:08 AM

4

Sorry Cat....I just don't get it.Send more clues!
xxxx

  Sue Oct 31, 2007 1:53 AM

5

Thank god I still "get it."

You feel ancient yet still get IDed. If only, sigh.

Em xxx

ps - pictures of shaggy haired surfer boys would be appreciated.

  Emily Oct 31, 2007 3:06 AM

6

Your doing a great job of your blog Esther, I feel I'm on this trip with you. Keep up the good work and above all else, enjoy every minute of your travels.
Love,
Aunt Mina

  Mina Malarkey Nov 2, 2007 2:29 AM

7

RIP Steve.

  shaesh Nov 3, 2007 2:36 AM

8

Great photies, btw. Asides from it being lovely to see more of you, good to see you tackling the ornothophobia so directly. Hope you told skippy to get out fo the water...... and on that front, is the electronic 'roo an aussie response to K9 - SKIP3 perhaps...?

  shaesh Nov 3, 2007 2:46 AM

9

Well it yooks like your having a great time, mind you if you had stayed at Gr-- you would still have been in a zoo.
(I'm fed up, i think i'll change my job!!)

  Construction Tart Nov 3, 2007 5:06 AM

10

Not again - see what I'm dealing with without you!!!
pics are fab. Keep them coming and your bearing up under the heat.

  Long suffering spouce Nov 3, 2007 9:25 AM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.