Existing Member?

It's already tomorrow in Australia... Carry On Backpacking

Sydney Devine

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 24 October 2007 | Views [490] | Comments [6]

I've been staying in the centre of Sydney for the past six days. I've done the harbour (sorry about all the photos, it's hard to stop once you get going, but at least there are a couple of me for a change) and some of the galleries and museums. I took the tour of opera house and it's the most stunning building I have ever seen, inside and out.

I've spent a bit of time getting to grips with the Sydney hostel scene. I think two and a half years at my former employer was ideal training for dealing with a few hundred lazy, inconsiderate backpackers in the one building. The kitchen isn't quite as bad, but nearly, and I might gleefully throttle my nocturnal dorm companion before I leave. But apparently it's all part of the fun.

I've walked around the town but I haven't been to the suburbs, so I will have to do that when I come back in December. We took the train to the Blue Mountains yesterday. The views were lovely, although they don't look much in the photies.

Sydney is exceptionally familiar. It's like so many big cities I've already been to. It's gorgeous when the sun shines, the people are friendly and polite and I've enjoyed my time here, but it's time to move on. There's a great big country out there to see. From here it's up the east coast tomorrow on the greyhound bus. Next stop is Byron Bay.

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Ah you'll look back on the great unwashed hordes of your fellow backpackers and laugh. In years to come. ;-)

Don't be apologising for the pics. We want more. It's lovely to see you in them too, reassures us you haven't grown an extra head or got a tan or anything mad like that!

Miss you. Enjoy your walkabout. Is it too early for "have fun in the bush" jokes?

xxx

  Cat Oct 24, 2007 6:03 PM

2

Ditto, Cat. Nice to see the Gman is fit and well after the Sydney shot in the chair!! Love reading of your adventures and all your mates comments. Looking forward to Up Country Tales - or is that Tails!

BigXXXXX

Mum

  Mum Oct 24, 2007 7:59 PM

3

Great to see your photos. Did you go to Mrs MacQuerie's Point in the Botanical Gardens to see sunset behind the Harbour Bridge and Opera House? If not, definately do it on your return jounney to Sydney. It was THE highlight of my 7 days in Sydney! Keep the photos coming! You'll like Byron Bay, VERY social place!

Kirstin xxxx

  Kirstin Oct 25, 2007 7:30 AM

4

Byron Bay? .....sigh....*is very jealous*....can I fly out and join you mate?
Love the photos with you on...take more!
xxxx

  Sue Oct 26, 2007 3:42 AM

5

Enjoying your fantastic blog Esther. All your photographs are outstanding - love the ones with you in them. Keep safe and enjoy the rest of your travels.
Love,
Aunt Mina

  Mina Malarkey Oct 28, 2007 1:38 AM

6

Your pictures reminded me of our trips to Sydney and the Blue Mountains.Glad your having a great time.
Uncle Frank.

  Frank Oct 31, 2007 1:42 PM

About esther


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.