Existing Member?

A little bit of the world

Montreal in Summer; oh how I miss you!

CANADA | Tuesday, 15 June 2010 | Views [528]

Montreal. The city of festivals. You can’t walk more than ten minutes in any direction without encountering one of them. Street art (Nuit Blanche), French music, the Montreal Grand Prix and Fringe festivals, not to mention the International fireworks competition, are amongst the many on this month. My friend lives in a 6th floor apartment overlooking Place des Arts, a plaza guaranteed to be packed on a Summer evening. Last year I was lucky enough to see Stevie Wonder play at the opening of the Montreal International Jazz Festival from here. Walk down a couple of blocks and you’ll pass a number of packed stages with different local and international artists performing their hits for free.

This is THE place to be in summertime.

 ***

I have never been a big sports fan. But I think I’m starting to get the hang of it. I met up with some mates at a sports bar (Champs) down St Laurent to watch the USA vs. England soccer match. “So, what makes a sports bar any different from a regular bar?” I asked my friend. I passed a bunch of other places playing the match, and they had beer too? I met with the answer as soon as I walked into the room. Not to sound hippy, but it’s all about the energy man! The room was at max capacity and die-hard fans filled the room with their flags, jerseys and synchronised roars with every action. Of course, it also helped that they had about ten TVs and the game projected on not only all of them but also a huge screen in the center. People left and right of me ran off lists of stats about previous cups, the teams and players. Everyone was an expert or at least weren’t afraid to give their two cents. All while there were intermittent pauses for cheering and chanting. There was also the obligatory bad mouthing of the other side’s teams and I was rather amused at the aggression and ferocity with which the tables on either side of us started arguing… It’s just football man… It’s football man!!!

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.