Existing Member?

A little bit of the world

Day 9 - Ranohira

MADAGASCAR | Sunday, 9 May 2010 | Views [592]

Not much. Most of today was spent driving the 5-6hours to Ranohira, a small town in the middle of nowhere. Turns out the gem mines are ~80km from here so we’ll visit them later on. We’re now staying at the Hotel Orchidee (single double 36,000Ar). Decent rooms, plus the toilets have seats! I also met a couple of English tourists who’ve been shadowing the exact same route as us (we’d met their driver several times before). Turns out they paid 600Euro (!!) for their car! So I guess we didn’t do too badly after all...

Sleep time. Both Arno and I are still a bit sick.

Tips for travellers: If you’re planning on visiting Ranohira and the Isalo park by car, make sure it’s high enough to drive on the park roads. You save 30,000 – 35,000Ar by providing your own car and driver. Also be prepared for high entrance and guide fees. According to Lonely Planet they are non-negotiable. 25,000Ar entry per person plus another 24,000 to >68,000Ar for the guided tours depending on how many people and where you want to go. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Madagascar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.