Existing Member?

Travel Adventures

Spring Break

USA | Sunday, 30 March 2008 | Views [882]

Hey everyone!

I know it has been quite a while since I wrote something on here, so be prepared for an extensive summary. The easiest way to do this is probably to go over what happened week by week. The last time I wrote something was in week 9 of this year, so I’ll start in week 10.

Week 10: This week wasn’t to interesting except for Friday. That day I went on a fieldtrip with my Human Genetics class. We went to the Crime Laboratory in the city of Lincoln. It was very interesting to see forensic research in real life, instead of the stuff they show you in, for example, CSI. It was nice to see how the material I’m studying is applied in real life. When I got back to Kearney, some of my friends were just getting ready to go to the movies. So I quickly dropped my stuff of in my room and went with them.

Week 11: The week before Spring Break, meaning loads of exams and papers to write. It was quite a bit of work, but since I passed all my tests and papers with an A I’ve got nothing to complain about :).

Week 12: SPRING BREAK!!! A well deserved week off. The first weekend I stayed at a friends house in Hastings, a town about 45 minutes from Kearney. On Friday night we went to the movies and the rest of the weekend we basically spent resting and playing the computer game Rock Band at a friend’s house. It’s a really fun game and one I’m actually good at! On Monday we drove 5 hours to a small town in Colorado called Brush, where another friend of mine, Reesa, lives. I know that 5 hours sounds like a long time, but for me it was ok. I basically spent my time looking at the landscapes we drove through. It was amazing that at certain parts you could look around for miles and don’t see any civilization: very different from the Netherlands. On Tuesday we went skiing in the Rocky Mountains, which is about a 2 hour drive away from Brush. It was going to be my first time skiing, so I was pretty nervous. Since we couldn’t get into a skiing class in the morning, for me it was basically trial-and-error of the mountain, but I didn’t fall. The only time I did fall was when getting of the ski lift: nobody told me to lean forward! So in the afternoon we had our skiing class with which we got really lucky, because we were the only ones in the group. This meant we basically had private lessons. After the classes our teacher told me that I am a natural. She had never seen someone progress as fast as I did (by the end of the class I could already parallel-ski down the mountain). The next couple of days we spent doing all kinds of fun things: relaxing, playing games, watching movies, and shopping. After a nice easter-lunch on Sunday we had to drive back to Kearney again which sadly meant that our break was over.

Week 13: On Tuesday night our resident hall’s team had the great idea to organize an Easter-egg-hunt to make us all feel very young again :). People were, and I’m not even joking, running down hallways, up and down stairs, to find as many Easter-eggs as they could. Then on Friday I went on another fieldtrip with my human genetics class. This time we went to Omaha to pay a visit to the Genetics Laboratory there. In this laboratory they, for example, research people’s genomes to find if they’ve got some kind of genetic disease. For example, they can investigate the DNA of a fetus to check for Down Syndrome. Another very interesting trip

So this is in short what I’ve been doing the last couple of weeks. Now I’ve heard (mainly from my parents) that some of you have questions about my stay here. Please, don’t hesitate to leave a comment on this page: I’ll answer it as soon as possible.

Yours, Nadine

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.