Existing Member?

Dominican Ears

I bought a car and now I need to learn to drive

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Friday, 5 May 2006 | Views [581]

Well I went out and bought a car. It is hard to know in Australia whether a second hadn car is any good or not... here it is ahowle different level of trouble. I took a mechanic and an experienced car shopper with me ( a friends dad who is a public car driver by profession). We went north out of town to a city called La Vega as cars are cheaper in the interior of the country??? Who knows why??

We looked at several and finally we had a match. It is like loooking through junk yards at times. then the negotiacions begin. They went pretty well... I was very nervous because even buying a pair of shoes here everyone will ask the price then tell you if it was a good deal or not. I was quite nervous to return to the hospital I am working in with a car and have them all have an opinion fo the type and such.

But I did well according to all. the mechanic at the hospital loves it he says it is a good buy with very little wrong. I have had a few things he needed to do such as an oil change. So all of this aside the car is good.

I then had to drive it home my first long drive in DR. The feeling of freedom and fear... it is really like learning all over again. I am so cautious that the Dominicans get frustrated. i indicate and signal when it is necessary in Australia but it generally confuses people here. I stop at traffic lights when they are red even when there is nothing coming. I stop at stop signs whihc is crazy and can get you in lots of accidents. I don't avoid pot holes by going to the wrong side of the road... although being an Aussie occasionally am accidetnly on the wrong side.

Oh well a bit to learn. 

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.