Existing Member?

Dominican Ears

A Pig on a Stick

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Tuesday, 29 August 2006 | Views [2229]

Went to San Pedro de Marcolis yesterday and it was great. We visited a friend's relatives house. I was expecting a small Dominican house but had been promised they had a pool. I couldn't quite imagine this as the people whose relative it was live in a semi concrete semi wood shack next to the school in the local barrio. However when we arrived there it was like a resort. I will never understand the disparities in this country. I hate that some members of a family can live soooo well and others so poor. With no help even for the children of the poorer couple.

Anyway we got to swim and relax. Meanwhile the men cooked a pig on a spit. Not just a part of a pig but the whoel thing.

It was great to watch the arguments. If you think men can get in arguments over how to cook steak how to cok a whole pig creates a whole days worth of discussions.  

We had the pig for dinner and for lunch we had yuca ( a kind of root veggie) with dripping of pig fat on it straight from the pig that was cooking. They just turned the pig and the fat dripped out onto your food for you. When the yucca was dry again you just went back and got more pig fat.

Dominican cooking is never truly healthy but this….. actually it was kind of tasty while on a fat and carb level if I had to think about it would lead to many hours in a gym. Again the not thihnking too much about it or lokking it in the eye really helped.

Tags: Food & eating

 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.