Existing Member?

Dominican Ears

Meeting with Uni re the approval

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Thursday, 5 October 2006 | Views [753]

Well as always I am amazed here how to get anything done or for people to work hard on something you need to bring in the directors and in a way threaten their jobs. They then hurry and act out of fear.

A lot of face in these meetings by which I mean a lot of pride and pretense that they have everything under control. I find it difficult when you need to watch the theatrics and be patient before asking WELL WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE IT IF IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO YOU!!!!!

Anyway where we are up to.

The University has all the documents they need they just need to format ad make them look pretty.... yes this is the same place we were 3 or 4 or even 6 months ago.

NOw though we are told because the director of both Medical Ministries INternational and the UNiversity were there that they will eb arranging a meeting this week with the secretary of education.

We need to formally present the idea of AUdiology to a country where they have not heard of an audiologist and convince her that it is a needed profession.

So this will be an important step toward approval.

We need approval yesterday.

We also discussed the costings which are higher than I would ahve liked for the poor but also realising the gaps in education that the poorest have even after high school are considerable. We also know that here there is not the value on education that developed or even Asian cultures have. They don't have a concept of study.

Living with a teenager who is supposed to be studying I am learning more and more the fundamental gaps in knowledge.

The things that school teaches us that schools here often do not.

I am having to write a program for the university that explains every basic concept in case they have no knowledge of it. The idea of students self educating on certain topics is not really heard of. They are trying to do it in some schools but the lack of resources make it difficult for students to find the information except from unreliable internet sites and they often only check one.

Anyway all in all my part is done now so I ahve to wait on the bureaucracy.

Donna

Tags: Work

 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.