Existing Member?

Dominican Ears

A party Fijian and Burmese style with a Dominican crowd.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Wednesday, 27 September 2006 | Views [811]

Well it was another celbration this weekend with the birthday of Natia. She is a opthalmology resident who arrived the week after me here. She is from Burma and this is her first time away from family and her community.

Her birthday was yet another reason for a party. She is an excellent cook and she decided she wanted us to have a party outside on the grass outside Senata's house. Senata another resident and her husband Tuks are Fijian.

So we had Kava and Fijian music with Burmese food. Quite a mix of culture for the locals and having eaten Burmese food a lot with NAtia and not being able to eat myself with my gall stone I was food guide. Pointing out how to mix it all together on the plate.

Just to confuse things Senata had made her now famous potato salad and so many confused diners ended up with burmese noodles, chicken, cilantro, cucumbers, nuts, mixed with potato salad. I kept trying to say you mix everything together but leave the salad on the side. BUt well they liked it. 

We had some south african wine one of the doctors bought and some local juice.

All in all we had a great evening listening to Tuks sing and play guitar a real tropical treat.

The Dominicans even got used to him being in a Sulu. NOt a man in a skirt as they first thought!!.   

Tags: Food & eating

 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.