Existing Member?

INDIA Unraveled In search of FREEDOM , DESTINY and TRUTH

VARANASI - Where Sprituality and Mysticism abounds

INDIA | Saturday, 29 March 2014 | Views [159]

There are many cities on the planet, which will invite you to get lost in its crowded streets, bustling cafes and bars, immense tangle of large and small buildings, boulevards, green parks and cobblestone streets. But only few will take you to your inner self, which otherwise was suppressed in some corner of your soul for all these years, in an attempt to work day and night to earn your bread and butter.

Varanasi, often regarded as holy city, is one of my favorite. Situated at the banks of river Ganges, its air has a whiff of spirituality and mysticism. Although like any other city in India , signs of recent development are  visible everywhere , but somehow it has retained its old world charm , holding on to the very essence of being alive , succumbed and surrendered to the power ,which is  unknown and beyond our imagination .

Known for its various Ghats (river front) and Shiva temples, Varanasi never fails to mesmerize you. It was sweltering Indian summers, when I arrived in the city, with my knapsack.  The first place I wanted to visit was Senath (having missed it out in the previous trips), the place where Buddha first taught the Dharma.

I took the local transport, safe and cheap, to cover the 10 km journey by road. By the time I reached Sarnath, I was enervated by the heat and crowd inside the bus. The first thought that popped up in my head was - why people take so many pains to see some historic place in some part of the world. Why we travel so far in drastic and difficult circumstances?

The contrast between the noisy outside world and sudden peace inside Sarnath that I experienced is no less than a miracle. And I got my answer. We often take the long road with small struggles and difficulties, only to witness such miracles.

About dipti_sharma


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.