Existing Member?

Adventure before dementia

Castille - Ancares National Park

SPAIN | Tuesday, 20 September 2016 | Views [523] | Comments [2]

After a couple of days hanging around the beast because of torrential rain we left Galicia and headed to Burbia in the Ancares National Park. A very remote area of Castille. We visited the tourist information in the largest village in the area and between my single word Spanish and the ladies little English we sussed where we needed to go for good hiking. The village was 10 miles away with a campsite. We double checked it was all suitable for a motorhome to travel to this area and she was positive it was. As we drove along the road to Burbia it became narrow to a single track rough road climbing uphill and down with switchback bends. Eekkk! The scenery was stunning but the journey was nail biting. We arrived at a village that looked like something out of The Game of Thrones with rough stone buildings, over hanging balconies and only an inch to spare at either side of the beast!!! We had to go all the way through the village to get to the campsite and I had to get out to guide Mark through the street. The road then turned into a dirt track!! We arrived at the empty campsite but the chap was happy to see us and opened the gate to allow us to stay. Once we had calmed down we could appreciate the fantastic and unique location!! Stayed 3 nights and spent 2 days exploring the pathways in the mountains. Huge scenery, big views and an untouched Spanish village. We saw 4 snakes during our walking but they were only small and I managed to remain calm even though they were really close to us.

We found the local bar for a beer after the first days walking which was well appreciated as we had walked 18 miles and we were ready for a cold beer. There was a sign outside but the door was shut and it just looked like a front door but it was a bar. It was the oldest and most Spanish bar we have ever been in and being in Spain not a single person batted an eye lid at two English tourists, we even got a couple of free tapas with our beers. An excellent 3 night stay in an untouched village in which we remained the only campers on the site for all the time we were there. No shops, no hotels just a bar and the campsite.

Comments

1

Hola, You're certainly more adventurous than us finding these campsites in the middle of nowhere & this is more out there than most! I don't think there are usually snakes in Spain so I think this is something else that has followed you from Australia but you'll be fine because crocodile Mark the snake whisperer is there. Are you sure you're not buying those paellas locally & putting them in your own pans because it looked exceptionally tasty again? Are you on countdown to return? WE ARE. Adios Dad XXX

  Dad Sep 21, 2016 5:16 AM

2

Top compliment to Mark, he definitely made the paella. He has also protected me against the Spanish snakes, needless to say he took the photo. Yes we are counting down the days, we feel like we have been away forever. Lots love Dawn xxx

  dawnandmark Sep 22, 2016 4:38 PM

About dawnandmark

Perfect end to a perfect day

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.