Existing Member?

Carry on Trekking

Chilly in Chile

CHILE | Wednesday, 21 May 2008 | Views [704]

We´re now in our 4th country and feeling very cold. The place is literally freezing - ice allover the place - and we´re spending a lot of time looking like michelon men (maybe not the best of looks!) But, we´re only the same degree south as London is north. The scenery though is still stunning, more mountains and lakes. (Sorry if the photos are starting to get a little monotonous, though we´re still being amazed by how beautiful everything is!)

We´re also slap bang in the middle of low season way down south and almost everything is closed or not running - places with signs on the door saying open in September (oh well, you can´t hit the best seasons everywhere). We have managed to make it to the Torres del Paine though, and they were beautiful (I do feel like I´m running out of superlatives) but there´s nothing really open for much trekking.

Before we switched countries (via the coldest bus ride ever - it didn´t feel like there was much heating on and the outside temperature was -5 for most of it) we went to the Perito Moreno glacier for a bit of trekking. The crampons were pretty primitive so we found overselves walking like thunderbirds up and down the ice. It was so cool (like the pun!) and it was very civilised being served scotch on glacier ice while still stood on the ice...

We catch the ferry up the fjords on Friday,

Sarah

x

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.