Existing Member?

Roon the Globe Nadia's trip around the world in 365 days :)

Somewhere over the rainbow lies Iguazu..

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 30 June 2016 | Views [540]

This is the first day I've actually had some down time and not written my blog on a bus / plane or airport en route to the next place! I just wanted to post a quick update on possibly my favourite place yet...Iguazu Falls or Foz Do Iguaçu (Brazilian) or Cataratas de Iguazu (Argentinian).

The most amazing thing about this place is the fact it's somewhere I didn't know about until about 5/6 years ago when I was travelling before and researching where to visit. It's hardly documented or promoted in Europe/UK as a destination, unlike the touristy Niagara Falls, but is apparently much more spectacular. It falls between the 3 borders of Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay right in the heart of South America - perhaps it's slightly inaccessible area is the reason not many Europeans visit.

We had the choice of a 19 hour bus or a 2 hour flight from Buenos Aires so given our lack of time the flight was the only option. We flew to the Argentinan airport but were staying on the Brazil side - logistically a pain in the arse when you land at 6pm and have to drive over a border. Anyway it was less painful than I thought as we were too late to bus it so had to take a pretty expensive taxi. The driver was great and made sure we had our papers etc and what to get stamped when we wanted to cross again to the Argentinian national park during our 2 day visit (you MUST see the Falls from both sides if you visit..both very different experiences!).

On the first night we were tired and hungry so headed out and by chance found a family-run Italian restaurant called Vo Bertila - it was mobbed and we waited 30 mins for a table so figured it must be good (On later investigation it was no. 2 on Trip Advisor!) I had my first Caipirinha which is Brazil's famous drink made of cachaça liqueur, lots of fresh lime and spoonfuls of sugar to sweeten. So refreshing!! It was an early night as we had to be up early doors to investigate the Brazilian side of the falls.

Seeing the falls for the first time was quite emotional as i'd Googled it so many times and seen so many photos! The Brazil side gives you a great overview of them whereas the Argentinian side is where you can get up close and personal and feel the water spray at your face. My highlight was the Devil's Throat fall which is the fastest with the most gallons of water per minute. Standing at the top looking down is very spiritual (excuse the cheesy moment) and you don't have much to say but just watch it for a few minutes in awe! I almost had to be dragged away from it after a good 15-20 minutes. The most stunning part is that there is a permanent rainbow over the falls when the sun shines - it really is paradise.

We spent a day on the Brazil side plus managed a visit to the Bird Park which was great to see lots of different species - my favourites were the toucans! The Argentinian side was a full day event as there are lots of trails to reach the falls so we explored 3 of about 9km in total which had us totally shattered. Safe to say it was an early night in preparation for the 3.30am rise to catch a flight to the Pantanal, our second nature - filled part of the holiday.

The last thing I wanted to say on this blog is food-related (as usual). We discovered a great wee buffet restaurant just 5 mins from our hotel which was our first venture into the Brazilian kilogram buffets! You basically fill a plate with whatever you like - salad, meats, fish, rice, feijoada (Brazilian bean stew) & pasta and you pay per weight. It's fresh, tasty, homecooked food and super cheap, plus no waiting to be brought your food or pay the bill! We had been eating out in restaurants almost every night in Argentina & Uruguay so it was definitely a recommended way to save some pennies - especially after a long day of walking when you really just want to eat your dinner and go.

Anyway, speaking of food I'm off for dinner now. It's our last night in the Pantanal so my next installment will be all about the nature spotting we've been doing here which is incredible!

Tags: argentina, brazil, iguazu falls, nature, scenic, walks, waterfalls

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.