Existing Member?

As the Ball Rolls Roaming to Free my Spirit

A Widowmaker for a hot water heater

GUATEMALA | Monday, 13 April 2015 | Views [1920]

A Guatemalan water heater called a Widowmaker

A Guatemalan water heater called a Widowmaker

Took some time off from picture taking.  It feels too much like being a tourist. 

Had my last class with the kids in San Antonio de Aguas Calientes last week.  Always bitter sweet. Got my share of hugs to last me a while.  Hopefully I will be back in the fall to give my friend Vicki a break.
 
Been going around saying goodby to a bunch of locals who have made my visit so special.  When you are somehere for six weeks you start making some nice connections.   
 
The ladies who sell in the park have figured out it is time to sell me hard. For weeks when they approached me, I would tell I was not buying anything till I was ready to go. It is amazing how much over the weeks they know about me and my plans. They don't forget anything you say. If only they had the opportunity to sell more than the basic Guatemalan weaving and home made jewelry.   They are very competent sales ladies. It is just their limited product offerings that is a problem. 
 
It is too bad that all these many women sell very much the same thing. I recognize the weaves from the last time I was here. Nothing new. Just the same stuff they have been making in the villages for years.  Probably centuries.  I keep looking for new things with very little luck. 
 
For a little laugh, I want to introduce you to a Guatemalan water heater. Every shower here has one of these. Only way to get hot water in your shower. They are called widowmakers.   You can see how close the water and the electricity run together.  At Every shower you take a risk of being electrocuted.  Most times you barely get hot water. 
 
Tomorrow evening I am taking 12 hour bus to Flores, Guatemala to visit Tikal National Park.  I promise tons of pictures. 
 
 

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.