Existing Member?

As the Ball Rolls Roaming to Free my Spirit

Meet Gaspar...a special young man

GUATEMALA | Thursday, 26 March 2015 | Views [570]

Gaspar is a special young man. He is a very self-motívated 14 year old.  He is very smart, handsome, charming and always helpful.  He sits in my class of younger kids so he can practice his English. 

Gaspar stays late at the after school program every day to get his homework done, use the Internet (his family does not have electricity) and to learn English.  His English is so good I use him in class to show the other kids how to pronounce words. 
His family has very limited resources and his mom does not get home till very late each night. It is not easy for Gaspar to get school supplies, new cloths and shoes. The basics stuff we take for granted are not easy for Gaspar to obtain.
 
He is now in 6th grade and studies very hard to get good grades. Through donors, Vicki's and William's organization "Creating opportunities for Guatemalans" help Gaspar with school supplies, homework support and with a place to hang out till his mom gets home. They are committed to working on his English so hopefully he can get a scholarship to Guatemalan secondary education.  Gaspar is too smart and too talented not to continue his education. 
 
One of the highlights of this journey is getting to know Gaspar!   Like me, if you met him, you would love him. 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.