Existing Member?

As the Ball Rolls Roaming to Free my Spirit

Gracias a La Vida Que Me Ha Dado Tanto

GUATEMALA | Friday, 20 March 2015 | Views [648] | Comments [2]

San Jose church. No
Longer used as a church. Now they hold concerts and weddings for Guatemalan elite.

San Jose church. No Longer used as a church. Now they hold concerts and weddings for Guatemalan elite.

Gracia a La Vida.....Thanks to life
 
I went to a concert last night in a very beautiful building, the old Iglesias de San Jose 
The music group "Canto Bohemio"  is a Guatemalan band celebrating it's second anniversary. 
 
One of the old songs they sang goes Gracias a la vida que me ha dado tanto.  
For my English speaking friends it mean thanks to life that has given me so much.  It is a beautiful song...sounds much better in Spanish. 
 
Every day as I walk this country, I am so grateful for my life and everything in it. For the many privileges that I have.  As a woman and a mother I have been so blessed. When I am here i can feel it deep in my spirit.
 
I try to take pictures of the beautiful but I pay attention to the abject poverty that surrounds me.  I don't take too many pictures of the not so beautiful as a sign of respect. I will sneak a picture here and there but always making sure I am in no way insulting these humble people. But have no doubt, many Guatemalans have living conditions that we in the USA, Europe and Australia would find absolutely intolerable.   Yesterday, a Guatemalan man asked me: have you been to the rural areas of Guatemala?  There you see even worse ponerte. In other words he was trying to tell me you have seen nothing yet. I can't even imagine. 
 
Every child here has a story. And there are many children. 40% of the Guatemalan population is 0 to 14 years old.    I have personally met kids who are sick and the parents can't afford the treatment. Families who have to chose what child goes to school because they can't afford to send all 3.  Children (10 years old) who have to work to help pay the family expenses and are missing class.  Three kids whose single mom was missing for a few days and then they found  her murdered.  Kids getting crappy old  looking shoes as their new pair of shoes. But they have shoes. Kids who get bad grades because they don't have the resources to do their homework. The stories are endless and I am not even working at an orphanage or in a rural area. 
 
For me these kids are real with their gorgeous dark eyes looking back at me. They are no longer  a picture on a World Vision brochure or a TV commercial.  They know my name. In fact I was walking around town before class and I could here Ani Ani Ani as my students ran by. 
 
Today I spent the day in the city of Chimaltenango with my friend Vilma. We  went shopping in  poor Guatemalan style. We took the chicken bus back and forth with all our bultos. (Bags). We walked in busy sidewalks with holes that are bigger than my whole body.  It scares me that imam going to brake a leg! We skirted busses, Tuc Tucs, ladies with all kinds of stuff in their heads, motorcycles and bicycles.  The horns were tutting, people were yelling...just commotion every where. I wish I could have captured in a picture but my arms were busy with bags.  We bought a printer, a modem, tortillas etc. 
 
Enough of the dark side for today. But please don't forget it as I tell you how special Guatemala is thru pictures and stories. 
 
There are a bunch of new pictures with descriptions under Lenten celebrations.  Holy Week starts in 8 days. 

 

Comments

1

What great perspective.
Makes the dramas we endure in the states seem petty by comparison.
So proud that you would donate your time and energy to brighten the life of the kids you describe.
Do visit el campo - don't worry about the pics or the potholes.

  uriartep Mar 22, 2015 12:06 AM

2

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Judi and Alice

  Judi Mar 24, 2015 3:41 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.