Existing Member?

crustyadventures Random travel thoughts from WorldNomad's Community Manager

Laos... land of going slowly

LAOS | Saturday, 26 February 2005 | Views [2056]

Is it possible? At first glance, Laos seems spotless – devoid of the endless blue plastic bags that littler Cambodia from the temples, through the slums and down to the beaches. There’s a tidy town award here in the making !

The slow streets are edged by wider pavements – heavens, there’s even space between the dinner tables layed out along the Mekong banks in the night markets.

There are even more geckos climbing the walls to bark at each other and munch on mozzies. Ah ha! Maybe these rickety beer gardens overhanging the Mekong on a platform of stilts provide answers… Bigger river = bigger mosquitos.

And tiny frogs! Tiny, tiny little ones jumping about in front of the potted bouganvillea of a nearby guest house. I love frogs – hopefully I’ll get to love an elephant too as we head further north.

The Laotians are keeping to themselves for now. We’ve only had one offer of a “motorbiiii” and one for a tuk-tuk. At last, a modicum of peace. (I say that now… but just wait until I actually need that Moto ride somewhere – won’t be able to find one for love or money).

Tags: Relaxation

 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.