Existing Member?

crustyadventures Random travel thoughts from WorldNomad's Community Manager

Elephant Bidet

LAOS | Monday, 28 February 2005 | Views [1716] | Comments [1]

Much to STC’s delight, we found some Heffalumps in Vang Vieng. Whilst watching a herd of water buffalo loll about in the river, which we thought was pretty impressive in itself, we spied 2 even bigger grey lumps further up the banks.

Just for second, we thought they might be wild and stood transfixed at the amazing things that Laos keeps throwing up. On closer inspection however, they were chained to a large pole at the bottom of the Riverside Cafe. We rushed over for some lunch and a good look and before we knew it were booking tickets. So… not wild, but rideable!

I wanted to ride bare back on their tough skin, holding onto their ears for balance and feel their tough, prickly hairs like a savage three day growth dig into my thighs. It’s never as romantic as you imagine though and we climbed onto a wooden saddle, abstracted from the sensory overload of raw elephant save for our bare feet that rested between his shoulder blades.

The two elephants set off up the river towards a limestone cave, occaisonally heading towards the banks to rip off giant snoutfuls of grasses and shrubs. At that moment, I realised that keeping one at home in the garden wasn’t a practical thought. A hungy elephant would mean the immediate destruction of anything carefully planted within reach of his trunk. The handler didn’t try and divert the cheeky elephants – it’s probably the easiest way to keep up with their equally enormous appetites.

Most of the time, the elephants waded in no more than a few feet of water as they plodded up stream, although things got exciting when it reached their tummy and eventually came up over their mouths. Without breaking stride, their trunks appeared in an upwards curl to create a snorkel for them to breathe, snort and splash water about.

At this point, I looked over at the other elephant and watched him poop casually. Two huge bowling balls of green dung emerged from his wrinkly arse which was level with the water line and floated away. How handy for the elephant that he can shit and wash his arse at the same time.

I tried not to think about the Nam song river as a bidet for Heffalumps when I went for a swim later.

Tags: adventures

Comments

1

Crusty/Sam, We have enjoyed the site very much. A great way to keep in touch with those not enjoying a holiday! The accounts of elephantine shits and floating in tyres especially good. We would love more pictures, but presume there are no suitable e-establishments. But I bet you are still harvesting masses of images.A CD, please, when you return! Here in Wargrave, not still snowing, but below freezing! Love M+D

  Mike & old Crust Oct 17, 2005 3:51 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.