Existing Member?

crustyadventures Random travel thoughts from WorldNomad's Community Manager

Artist In Residence, Sihanoukville

CAMBODIA | Friday, 18 February 2005 | Views [1490]

Roger Dixon... artist in residence - at Coaster's Resort, a few doors down from 'the gallery'.

Roger was in Serendipity beach for several months on a painting trip of his own when he handed a brush over to some of the beach kids. Only a few days later, there were literally dozens of paintings. An organised local was charged with containing the kids, keeping the brushes clean and helping them use the paints (enamels for permanancy).

Then there was the question of where to put all the art that was mounting up in front of Roger's tiny bamboo bungalow. They decided to show it 'properly' in a gallery setting, framing each picture and hanging it on the walls of a tiny open-sided cafe so the whole beach crowd could come and look.

I don't think the cafe has a name... just wander to the north end of Serendipity Beach and ask about the kid's art.

Roger went back to the beach every couple of days with more paints and boards and at that point, realised that the project had taken on a life of it's own. We decided to join in and take the kids art out beyond the confines of Sihanoukville. Sam took photos before we left and now, weeks later, I'm here building a website. I wonder what's going on back at the beach and will write to Roger soon.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.