Existing Member?

through my eyes... the world according to a globe-trotting, sight-seeing, day-tripping, frequent-flying damsel in de-stress

Traveling is not for everyone...

SPAIN | Sunday, 4 June 2006 | Views [1109]

Traveling is definitely not for everyone. I can understand why some people are not keen on the idea of travel when it involves painfully long queues at airports and security checkpoints, and odds in favor of something going wrong, whether it be a delayed flight, losing your luggage, or paying way too much for a grande iced coffee at the airport Starbucks. In my case, it was a delayed flight en route to Madrid (the grande iced coffee was only moderately overpriced). At first, the flight delay was only an hour; nevertheless, it got quite a few passengers in a tizzy. When we finally boarded the plane and were all settled, buckled in, and properly educated on emergency safety procedures, we were informed by a disembodied voice that we would be delayed yet again. So, for another hour we sat on the plane next to either sweaty or irritated passengers (or both sweaty and irritated...a nasty combination), all the while unsure of whether we would make our connecting flights to wherever we were going. So yes, I can understand why some people don´t like to travel. Still, I find that I am willing to go through this—and more—for a chance to experience another culture, if even for a short while. To sit in a cathedral that is far older than my own country inspires a feeling that is beyond description. And to actually see with my own eyes things that I had previously only seen in books is a benefit that far outweighs the discomfort of your typical travel mishaps.

Unfortunately, "typical travel mishaps" includes sitting at an Internet cafe at a computer that isn't detecting my digital camera (thus, an inability to upload pictures). So, this little entry will have to suffice for now—and I am primarily using it to convey to any worry-warts out there (you know who you are!) that I have arrived in Spain safely, if not a little later than expected. It's all part of the travel experience, I say. You take the good with the bad.

Tags: adventures, planes trains & automobiles, sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.