Existing Member?

Europe2015

Naples Friday September 11

SPAIN | Friday, 11 September 2015 | Views [235]

At Castel Sant'Elmo overlooking Naples

At Castel Sant'Elmo overlooking Naples

We are in Naples today. After a leisurely start, we head into the city with Jeannette and Greg. We hadn't really planned anything, but we start walking uphill. And walk. And walk. And walk! (Col is wearing her fitbit, which later tells us we did 17,000 steps, 12 k's and 68 flights of stairs and it only counts uphill, not downhill). The streets are dirty and narrow as we pass through a residential area, where residents are hanging their washing outside in the street. At the top of the hill overlooking the city we can see a castle and make our way for it. We find the Pedamentina a San Martino, which is a pedestrian walkway with stairs winding up the hill. We reach the castle which we find is Castel Sant'Elmo. It has been hard work getting here, the the views over Naples are spectacular. It is the highest point of the city.

We take another route down and find a bar where we stop for lunch. Scott is disappointed as there is no pizza on the menu, even in the home of the Margherita pizza! Greg and Scott have Angus beef hamburgers which are really good. After what seems an eternity we reach our ship. The route we took back was not short and we couldn't really find anything more direct. Fortunately the port is right in the city so we make it back to the ship in plenty of time.

More drinks on the balcony, we head to the bar before dinner. Dinner is again fantastic, with tonight's theme Italian. We finish off our night with a Motown show in the Princess Theatre, with our American dining guests Karen and John also joining us.

About colandscott


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.