Existing Member?

Volunteering in the DR

Laguna Limon.

USA | Monday, 15 December 2008 | Views [357] | Comments [1]

Saturday’s fundraising trip out to the laguna was successful. It started off to a rocky start, as the bus hadn’t arrived by 8:30 as planned to take the members and their guests out to the laguna, and we couldn’t reach the driver. He has no cell phone or landline. The only way we can reach him is by going to his house, and since one of the leaders has a jipeta we went to hunt him down. We quickly zigzagged through the campo, trying not to hit all of the potholes that fill the road. It felt like a race, and the driver was making me nervous, but then again, I hate fast drivers. We needed to find the driver - everyone had been waiting back at the meeting spot for almost an hour. He had bus engine trouble, but better late than never and we saw him driving into town. I was afraid that my friend was going to have to drive the bus himself, but thankfully the bus arrived. We were off to a late start, but as soon as we got to the laguna, we started cooking. We had been told that there was a kitchen we could use, but our stove was really two little campfire spots that the guys from the military helped us set up. It rained for a little bit, but other than that the camp fire was pretty neat. Really smoky, and my eyes were crying from both cutting onions and the smoke. Somehow I offered myself to stay behind and help with the cooking while the rest quickly found spots on the little boat and took off to hear the discussion on the laguna and how it is being taken over by this type of seaweed that is quickly reproducing and endangering the laguna and its species. I handed over my camera to one of the girls so that she could document the trip. The laguna opens up onto the beach, and they had a chance to take a quick dip before coming back. They jumped in with their clothes. Thankfully my friend stayed behind with me, and the military guys knew how to cook, so I was helping them and not the other way around. The food was ready before the group came back and we sat around waiting, watching the birds and relaxing. As the boat approached us we could hear them cheering - a good sign. We ate (there were many complaints about how the food needed salt!! Oh well.) and relaxed a bit more on the shore, took pictures, and discussed how we can improve on the next trip. We will probably open and invite the community on the next trip as many do now know about the laguna or its endangerment. The more people are aware, the better chance we have of getting the governments attention to protect it. As the professor who led the discussion does not live in the DR, the idea is for the youth to be the next tour guides to their own community. In all, it was a long day, and I left reeking of smoke and super tired. The pictures are beautiful and I am jealous I missed out, but I am sure that there will be another chance to take the ride and learn more about the laguna. Check out the pictures.

Comments

1

Wow loved the pictures.Looks like everyone had a good time. Sounds like you have a handle on things. What kind of food did you cook. Need to take a pic with you in it and the beauitufl beach in the back ground. want to print it and put it on my cubical wall. Well the LOCK won't be meeting till 2009. Your missing all the rain.
And we are all missing you.
Take care keep up the writing.

  Lydia Dec 18, 2008 1:59 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.