Existing Member?

Volunteering in the DR

Teaching. Trip.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Friday, 12 December 2008 | Views [315] | Comments [2]

Somehow I agreed to teach an English class, and now I don’t know what I was thinking at the time. I am not a teacher, and teaching a language is pretty difficult. They tell me: But you know English, right? It’s easy. Yeah, right. I thought that it would be easier being that I am trying to teach the kids in my house, but it really is not. They don’t listen, even while their mom is taking the same class. Sometimes she brings the belt to class to threaten them to be quiet and listen. But they continue to talk, fart, and laugh throughout. This makes me hate Monday nights. One of the neighboring girls is in the class, so at least it is not all boys. When I agreed to teach I made sure to tell them all not to invite anyone else, as I did not want it to turn into some big production. Little by little people have found out and they ask to be in it, but thankfully they have not been persistent about it. We hold it in the living room, where they dragged this huge chalkboard from the neighboring house where the owner also asked if there was a class for adults. I sent the message back with the little kids to tell her that not at this time, and yet we are still using her board. I have a new appreciation for teachers, or want-to-be teachers as this requires a patience I do not have. Or maybe it is the kids I am trying to teach and not me. That’s probably it. Either way, it makes me dread Mondays. It is a bit frustrating to try and teach them useful words when all they really want to know is how to call each other (and myself!) names. But I have to remind myself that they are just kids. My littlest host brother has only learned the word “hungry” and so he goes around all day and especially during class saying: hungry, hungry, hungry. He really is always hungry, and eats nonstop. He is the little guy next to the xmas tree in my pictures. 

 

This weekend we have been planning a trip to a laguna nearby with the environment youth group. It is a fundraiser, and although we have been trying to plan this for the past month, I still have no idea what is going to happen. All I know is that somehow I am in charge of cooking, and I don’t even know how to cook dominican style spagetti and moro. I am just going to follow the other girl’s example. But first I have to buy the ingredients, and collect the rest of the money for the trip. This is going to be fun. I am not big on last minute planning, but I have no choice and let things fall as they may, even if the trip is tomorrow. I will definitely have someone take pictures for me to show, as I will be slaving away in the kitchen. Wish me luck.

Comments

1

Good Luck Christy!

¿Dónde está la Biblioteca? Oh wait...that's Spanish!

Have fun out there..and get back on the ichat soon.

Billy

  Billy Karan Dec 13, 2008 8:09 AM

2

Hi
Either I've been busy or you have, I've finally caught up on all of your journeling.You certainly have been busy. Glad to see you and your friends got to have a Thanskgiving. Well the Holidays are are steadfast approaching. Everyone is busy shopping. I'm almost done. We have our little tree up and decorations out. Planning the Holiday menu, Tamales of course, you will probably get some interesting ones over there. We are trying for another luncheon, maybe this time we can make it the 4 of us for even a little while. Good luck in your english classes and everything else you will be doing.
Be good,Be careful,always be safe, and make wise choices. Love Lid

  Lydia Dec 15, 2008 12:59 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.