Existing Member?

Europe 2012

Corfu

GREECE | Monday, 23 July 2012 | Views [548]

Hello from Athens! My Internet connection was not the best in Corfu so I have some minor catching up to do.
From Rome we trained to Bari, Italy, a tiny port city on the east coast where we caught our ferry to Corfu. We had extremely low expectations for Bari, but the whole 18 hours we spent there were awesome! It is quite the bustling little town with excellent gelato prices and a relaxing atmosphere. After our brief stay in Bari we caught the overnight ferry that was pretty much a five star luxury cruise. We splurged on a four person cabin so we could have a goodnights sleep and a shower, well worth it! 
We arrived in Corfu just after 5am and were greeted at the Pink Palace with pink shots of Ouzo. For the record, Ouzo before 7am is ill advised. Not fun. Nap time took priority in our day before we ventured out to do anything, thank goodness. 
The Pink Palace staff and atmosphere have a way of getting you to party even if you are not really willing to party. Needless to say the next few days were a lot of fun, a lot of sun and minimal hours of sleep. 
Day number 2, Adam and I splurged on a cruise with 20 other people that took us around the island. Adam was a brave soul and went cliff jumping, I on the other hand enjoyed the comfort of the shaded boat and a nice cold beer. We swam into a dark cave off the ocean and witnessed some bats flying about, pretty neat stuff. Our last stop on the cruise was to a secluded beach where we went snorkeling and took in some more Mediterranean rays. 
The cruise was awesome and our day would not be complete without a famous  Pink Palace Toga party. I must add that tying a toga is an art especially when they are made out of pink satin. The toga party also included plenty of Ouzo and Greek dancing! Not to mention each of us had a plate smashed over our heads by some crazy Greek man that carried a flaming end table around in his mouth. My description of the nights events does not do it justice and it all must be experienced first hand.
Yesterday, we took the day slow by hanging out at the beach before we had to catch our overnight bus to Athens. The bus was not much fun, lacked A/C and was painfully long but we made it to Athens this morning at 5:30am! Checkin time is sadly 2:00pm meaning we have far too much time to kill. At the moment all three boys are napping around me in the common room so I am unsure how productive our day will be...
10 days left! Talk to you soon 

Tags: bari, corfu, greece, pink palace

About christie


Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.