Existing Member?

Europe 2012

Rome

ITALY | Tuesday, 17 July 2012 | Views [408]

Yet again delayed! 
Made it to Rome safe and sound. Found out that our original hostel had some faulty plumbing issues, so our host took us to his other place a few blocks away. It is quite nice and we are pretty much the only people in it. Rome is a bumping city. Extremely busy with plenty of crazy italian drivers, these people are nuts when behind the wheel of a car! Alessandro, our hostel host, directed us to a pleasant cafe outside the Colosseum, The Luzzi where we have eaten 3 meals in total since we have gotten here. The lasagna is to die for! We explored the neighborhood our first night but decided that Rome was going to be a place to get some sleep before the Pink Palace party spot in Greece. On our second day Brett was under the weather and we all needed a do nothing day. We took it easy and just wandered around the neighborhood observing the Italian lifestyle which I must say is very different than Canada. I think Canadian stores should also close from 12:30-3:00 pm everyday for lunch/siesta. Could do us wonders! 
Yesterday everyone was feeling better and we decided to tackle the Vatican! I say tackle only because it was 36 degrees out and the line wrapped around the walls of the Vatican. It was nuts! The wait went by quick and we ended up seeing the Vatican including the Sistine Chapel, St. Peters Basilica and square. The Basilica was one of the most amazing churches I have ever seen. The architecture and art within the building is quite amazing. We then took a few quick stops. The first at the Spanish steps where Adam was conned into buying me some roses, which I must say were beautiful and much appreciated. Our last stop was at Trevi Fountain, that is one of the prettiest fountains I have seen. Although I have seen a replica in Caesars Palace in Las Vegas the real thing is much much better! 
In addition to our happenings yesterday I had a delightful reaction to my antibiotics and ended up with a head to toe hive/rash. Not fun, needless to say I was not a happy camper for most of the day. 
In light of my misfortune we decided to tour the Colosseum and Forum this morning before the days heat was too much to handle. After taking plenty of tourist photo ops we took the metro to Euroma2, apparently the largest mall in Italy, to enjoy an afternoon of air conditioning and a little shopping!! :) finally some girl time! Yay! 
Tomorrow we leave mid afternoon to Bari, Italy where we will hop on our overnight ferry to Corfu, Greece! Cannot wait. Talk to you in Greece!

Tags: colosseum, luzzi, rome, spanish steps, the forum, trevi fountain

About christie


Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.