Existing Member?

One Foot Off the Merry-Go-Round

Loy Krathong Festival

THAILAND | Tuesday, 29 November 2011 | Views [571] | Comments [2]

Loy Krathong takes place on the full moon night of the twelfth lunar month.  The purpose is to pay respect to the Goddess of the Water… showing gratitude on our plentiful use of water and to ask for forgiveness in the ensuing pollution. So for all you water pollution sinners out there… don’t worry, we paid the piper for you.

Me and Travis, along with a group of our Seaview friends and family, spent hours making our krathongs. A krathong is a circular floating object (we made our base from the heart of a banana tree) with decorations of banana leaves, flowers, a candle and sticks of incense.

We also added pieces of our hair and fingernails (just clippings!) and small money—which are all traditional items to place in your krathong.

Later in the evening, we headed down to the festival and walked over to the ocean… lit our candles together and prayed to the water spirits for good luck as we floated our Krathongs out into the water in hopes of flying grief and ill fortune away.

Comments

1

You guys are awesome!!

  Brad Jones Nov 30, 2011 12:05 AM

2

Looks like a fitting sendoff to your time in Thailand. We pray your safety and peace as you travel into Viet Nam and Cambodia. Hey, Christa, your birthday's coming up!

  David and Tippy Dec 4, 2011 12:27 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.