Existing Member?

Chris' most awesome journey

Oasis in Vietnam

USA | Sunday, 7 July 2013 | Views [285]

Never start too young riding a moto!

Never start too young riding a moto!

Hoi An, Vietnam:  Today’s adventure was the $4 (no air conditioning) bus ride from Hue to Hoi An.  I swear that all vehicles in Vietnam must have a governor on them to regulate the speed.  We never exceeded 35 mile an hour which turned the trip into 4 hours!  They were supposed to leave us at the bus terminal but that didn’t happen.  The driver must have had the “entrepreneurial” spirit since we got left off in front of a $10/night hotel.  I wonder if he got a commission on that?  There weren’t any taxis around only “motorcycle taxis”.  Well…when in Rome.  This was definitely a sight to see: the driver, my carryon roller bag and me behind him wearing a backpack.  I got to the hotel ok along with my luggage.  This hotel is somewhat of an oasis so I think I will extend my day here. 

For dinner, I saw a recommendation in Lonely Planet Guide.  “Bale Well is the local place that’s famous for one dish – delicious BBQ pork served satay-style which you then combine with fresh greens and herbs to create your own fresh spring roll.  The owner/manager saw me with the Lonely Planet guide and told me to sit down.  Before I knew it, she brought me the meal (see photos) and said “I will make it for you”.  She grabbed the wrap, put in a rice pancake, greens, cabbage and then the BBQ pork and handed it to me.  She would come back every two minutes and make me another until I couldn’t eat any more.  I didn’t bother asking her if she washed her hands between giving change, cooking, taking out the garbage and making my spring rolls.  I guess that falls under the category of “I don’t want to know”.  They were pretty tasty however.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.