Existing Member?

Chris' most awesome journey

Scared little school girl!

CAMBODIA | Saturday, 13 July 2013 | Views [724] | Comments [6]

..and those babies are adorable

..and those babies are adorable

Siem Reap, Cambodia:  I got an early start on the temples today at 8:00 am.  My private tuk tuk driver came and picked me up ($15/day…not bad).  I bought a 3 day pass to see all of the temples and started out with the Crown Jewel: Angkor Wat, the world’s largest religious building.  This temple is surrounded by a moat 190 meters wide (two football fields: 207 yards).  The moat forms a giant rectangle around the temple 1.5km by 1.3 km (almost 1 mile x 1 mile).  It is huge…and just as impressive.  It took me 1 ½ to see only part of it and I never got “temple burn out”. 

Then it was onto Angkor Thom.  Here the monkeys come out to play.  They are literally all over the place!  Unfortunately when backing up, I stepped onto someone’s tail and Wild Mother monkey came after me with a vengeance.  I of course ran off like a scared little school girl.  Wild Mother Monkey:1 Scared chicken tourist: 0.  She had teeth like a lion!  After my encounter with Wild Mom Monkey, I thought it would be best to leave (aka run away very quickly) and visit another temple – The Bayon.  This was built by Jayavarman VII precisely to extract vengeance upon an American tourist (me) 1,000 years later.  I now consider myself a professional rock climber.  As we refer to it in the biz, “free soloing”.  Not only free soloing but “highball”.  (You non-climbers will have to look up those terms in wikipedia).  Needless to say, I made it to the top!  What I didn’t really think about however was the descent.  Wow…visions of my encounter with Wild Mom Monkey came back!  If I was to label it scary, that would be an understatement.  After letting 85 people go in front of me, I started down and I’m glad to tell you that the “Highball” guy is back in the game!  Along with Bayon, I visited the Baphoun, Terrace of the Elephant and Terrace of the Leper King.  I was happy with myself and thought that I survived the worse but as always, I was mistaken.  I was only 50 yards away from safety (my tuk tuk) when all of a sudden a horde of touts descended upon me.  Three shirts, one set of postcards and 3 beads later, I made it out of there! 

Hung, my driver, had some refreshing water cold water for me.   Since my sweat was sweating during my climbs, my glasses became one hell of a mess.  The first time I got to “see” where I have been, was when editing the photos later. 

At this point I was dead tired and faced with a dilemma.  The battle between the “Cheap Chris” who wanted to get his money’s worth from the full day tuk tuk tour  versus.  “Dead Tired Chris” who wanted to go check out the hotel pool.  Cheap Chris won and it was onto Ta Prohm aka “Tomb Raider Temple”.  For those of you who haven’t seen the Angelina Jolie (Lara Craft) movie, it was filmed here where nature and some pretty aggressive trees are trying to take over the temple.  It was a great place to take some shots but “Dead Tired Chris” kept bitching and moaning the whole time.  By 3pm, “Dead Tired Chris” finally won out and we started our way back to the hotel.  The breeze was refreshing and I got my second wind and asked Hung to make one final stop: HeliStar.  Yep…the “Indiana Jones Chris” is back and going to take a helicopter ride tomorrow.  Stay tune for the details.

Comments

1

Sounds as if you are about ready to come home but remember that you won't be going back so hang in there and take advantage of everything!

  Maureen Jul 15, 2013 12:44 AM

2

Read about the running of the bulls in Spain this week? Your next adventure or did you do that when you lived in Spain?

  Renie Jul 15, 2013 12:46 AM

3

Chris glad to hear you have joined the climbing ranks. Jen and I will be sure to send you an invite for our next adventure climbing trip. We still need to break in some of our wedding presents...

  Kevin Jul 15, 2013 1:43 AM

4

I would like to have seen you after or during you climb

  Frank & Cathy Jul 15, 2013 7:02 AM

5

Someone told me about a field of urns of some sort... do you have any idea where that is over there?
Do I get another prize for getting you some more views?

  rem Jul 16, 2013 4:26 AM

6

What an adventure! I'm getting a new respect for you, Chris. And a ton of respect for your tuk-tuk driver that transported your butt. I'm glad the Cheap Chris pushed it a little more.
Any chance you'll be building a temple in your yard?

  Peter Sampogna Jul 16, 2013 1:10 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.