Existing Member?

Chris' most awesome journey

Fishing village outside of Hoi An

VIETNAM | Monday, 8 July 2013 | Views [529] | Comments [4]

Fishing village outside of Hoi An, Vietnam:  Today was my “artistic” day.  I got up at 4:20am (“My God, what was I thinking?”) to get some sunrise shots at a local fishing village outside of Hoi An.  We took the ferry across the river and right away smelled the fish.  After unloading the fish, the “factories” would start sorting and cooking the fish to send to the market.  We then visited another factory that sold the “fish sauce”.  I have never heard of that before but it is used quite a bit in Vietnam as a substitute for salt and put on most of the food here.  It didn’t look all that appealing.  Afterwards, we caught the ferry back and rode the last 4km into town on the bikes. 

Then I had a “work” day…booking flights and hotels for the next 4 days.  Life is rough for me.  I will be staying at a old colonial hotel in Saigon that was the location for most correspondents while in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon).  This hotel is going to be a major break from my normal $25-$40 rooms…spending a $100 a night!  I guess I will have to give up a few meals.

Comments

1

Someone is getting tired of writing captions...41 pictures and 3 captions?

  renie Jul 9, 2013 8:18 AM

2

Was it hard to keep a smile on your face during the bike ride... it looked like a very relaxing ride. And where is all the rain... stuck here !

  renie Jul 9, 2013 8:22 AM

3

We were just looking for fish sauce a couple days ago for a new recipe! We decided to pass once we discovered the main ingredient is "anchovy extract"...Also, nice camera work on the bike!

  Zach & Rachel Jul 15, 2013 9:14 AM

4

How does this entry have 4 comments but 0 views???

  Rachel & Zach Jul 15, 2013 9:15 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.