Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

Days Eighteen to Twenty Three Los angeles

CANADA | Friday, 9 September 2011 | Views [174]

The USA Road Trip Los Angeles

 

Day 18 Disneyland

We finally made it. DISNEYLAND!!! This was one of the carrots we dangled in front of the kids to get them excited about moving halfway around the world.

Once again we started the day early and this one was planned by Dad to be a military operation, I had gone out before leaving Burlington and bought a book entitled “Disneyland with a family” so I knew where and when we had to be. Now like any good plan it didn’t survive first contact with the enemy. The book did come in very useful however, having lots of useful information on what’s popular and which rides to get to early and the it explained the Fastpass system a great way to skip lines.

First stop once we got our bearings in Mainstreet USA, was to hit the Indiana Jones adventure before the rest of the crowds. The three adults quickly agreed that this is the best ride in the park but the kids were of a different opinion. Next the Pirates of the Caribbean, then the Haunted Mansion (Natasha’s favourite, she’s definitely a witch or ghoul). In between the popular rides and waiting for our time on the Fastpass system we filled our time by visiting the quieter rides, if there is such a thing in Disneyland. A piece of advice, do Splash Mountain around lunchtime so that you can dry off in the afternoon sun.

The book recommends splitting the park into two halves and tackling one half the first day and coming back and completing the remainder the next day. But of course the Nightingales don’t subscribe to that theory and so by the end of the day we had seen three quarters of the park.

19:00. After dinner which we had wisely brought with us. (Don’t eat in Disneyland unless you are prepared to sell one of your children). We settled down along the banks of the Rivers of America to await Mickey Mouse in “Fantasmic” the laser and light show. A word to the wise be prepared to get there and get a seat at least two hours before the show starts, which is 21:00. I first saw this show back in 1993 and apart from the effects being sharpened up it’s still the same show, which isn’t to say it’s not spectacular. After the show finishes we sat around and waited for the fireworks which again are spectacular. I would hate to think how much it costs Disney in fireworks as this happens every night of the year.

22:30 and two very tired but happy kids and their parents and Aunt made it back to the hotel.

Day 19 LEGOLAND

LEGOLAND! The one place Ryan really wanted to go ever since I told him it existed in 2008. Chelle wasn’t interested and Tasha couldn’t make up her mind until we told her there was a water park. So Helen and I took the kids while Michelle had some well earned rest, which she didn’t do anyway.

LEGOLAND is about an hour South of L.A. just outside of San Diego. It’s not a big park and of course it revolves around the theme of LEGO, with the recreation of some of the American cities in miniature being the centre point and they don’t have a lot of rides, the park is definitely aimed at smaller kids. They did have  a big Star Wars display which excited Ryan. We went on a few of the rides but after Disneyland Tash didn’t find them exciting enough and all she wanted to do was go for a swim, so we spent the afternoon in the water. The highlight of the park was a ride that looks like one of those robotic arms that are used in factories and basically performs the same way. On the end of the arm are two seats that can be manipulated in any direction. There are five modes of operation ranging from the tame which Tash and I did, through to the extreme which Ryan went on. I sat back and watched as my son was thrown through more gyrations than a jet pilot. He was a bit subdued when he got off but wouldn’t admit he didn’t like it. The last thing we had to do before leaving was visit the LEGO shop for Ryan to spend some of his birthday money, which took an hour, so many decisions.

Day 20: Ninth of August Natasha’s Birthday at Disneyland

A big day but for a special reason! We headed out extra early to be there when the gates opened. Our first stop was Town Hall to let them know we had a special person with us, Natasha was given a big badge with her name and age on it so no one would miss the fact it was her birthday. After getting the badge she was then told she had a phone call, when she picked it up it was Goofy wishing her “Happy Birthday”.

Off to the part of the park we had previously missed and start with Space Mountain, Michelle’s favourite from a previous visit when she was young, the kids also liked this one. Next it was Star Tours a simulator ride through the world of Star Wars, with C3PO as the pilot. Thankfully we got to this early as the wait is usually between ninety minutes and two hours. From there we went back and had another go on Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain and the Haunted Mansion along with filling all the gaps. The badge worked well Natasha got a lot of birthday wishes from park staff. As it was her birthday we also had to get our photo with as many characters as possible, though we missed Mickey we did get Minnie and of course the Disney Princesses.

Another action packed day ended and Helen, Tash and I sat down to watch Fantasmic again while Chelle and Ryan went off to try and get on some of the rides while they weren’t busy. Hopefully that will be one birthday that Natasha wont forget to soon.

Day 21 Universal Studios

My favourite theme park. Universal is across the other side of L.A. from Disneyland so it was another early start, but thankfully the traffic wasn’t too heavy. After arriving we got the obligatory photos on the red carpet, then onto the rides and the shows, starting with Shrek 4D and the Simpsons roller coaster simulator (worth waiting in line for). After waiting for me to get my photo with Marilyn we headed to Jurassic Park and boarded a boat to go through the park, meeting all its residents on the way. Moving through the park headquarters you get attacked by Velociraptors which in turn are attacked by T-Rex, escaping from the T-Rex the boat then falls eighty feet down a waterfall. All I can say is I have never got so wet on any other ride, this one is a lot of fun. Helen and I then did the Mummy another roller coaster in the dark.

One mistake we did do at Universal, was to not do the Backlot tour when we first got there. (The wait for this is horrendous!)  The tour itself however is worth the wait. The kids may have been a bit young to appreciate this though. We came face to face with “Bruce” the shark from Jaws, drove down Wisteria Lane, saw the wreckage of a plane crash and were stalked by Norman Bates.

Other things we did were the Waterworld show, a lot of fun, terminator 4D, I did this on my own very loud and exciting and my favourite the House of Horrors, which displays the monsters and villians from the movies and comes with the disclaimer that “performers in the building will not touch you so please refrain from hitting them” Lol. I have never seen people jump so far. Once again another long and action packed day.

Day 22 California Adventure

Because this park isn’t as big as its older brother Disneyland, we didn’t need to rush as much and this was a bit more relaxing, with less people. California adventure is based, of course on all things California and is worth doing. For a nice change of pace from past rides “Flight over California” is fun, you are in a simulated hand glider in front of an IMAX screen and so feel like you are flying over the state, it was good for the kids as they could recognise some of the places they had already visited or were yet to visit. A lot of the other rides were pretty much standard and based on some of the older ones that used to appear on piers and at fairgrounds. The kids still got a kick out of them. The best ride however is the roller coaster, (California Screamin) for its size it is the fastest one I have been on. To start you get blasted from a standing start to 60mph in 5 seconds and the ride doesn’t slow down after that. It was so much fun we went back and did it again later in the day. The other standout is the Grizzly River Run rafts, again the best rafting ride I’ve been on so far, another hot weather ride.

Day 23 Seaworld San Diego

Our last day in L.A. Chelle opted out on this one. So Helen, Ryan, Tash and I once again headed back South to San Diego. Seaworld is another of those parks that have to be done. Not so much for the rides but to see some amazing wild life up close. Such as Walrus, Polar Bears, Beluga and of course “Shamu” the killer whale. I have seen Seaworld on the Gold Coast and that’s fantastic but San Diego takes it to the next level. Of course in between the wild life there are also a couple of good rides and a very entertaining Seal show, the kids loving this one. One thing we were grateful for was that it was overcast, otherwise I’m sure it could get unpleasant around there.

 

At the end of the day we had completed a week of theme parks and I think everyone had really enjoyed themselves each of us having a favourite ride or park, so it was time for a change of pace and to head to San Francisco.

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.