Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

The Nightingale's Lampoon Vacation Pt 1

CANADA | Sunday, 3 July 2011 | Views [192]

The Grand Canadian/ American Adventure

Day One 2nd July 2011 Burlington to Boston

 

Ok, we have made it safely to Boston, actually when I say Boston we are just outside the city in Lexington, which my meagre grasp of American History (and the travel brochure sat beside me) states is the birth place of the American Revolution. Lexington was the site of the first confrontation between the Minutemen and the British troops that sparked off the powder keg which became the War of Independence. What an appropriate place to be spending Independence Day in two days time.

How did we get here? Once again we left early, 0530 to hit the border before the rush and again we still had to wait an hour to be processed. We had to renew our visa waiver and it still took time. I think the idea of Australians being temporary citizens in Canada knocks the US border guards for a six. At least this time we had someone who was pleasant and didn’t speak and answer in grunts and monosyllables.

Leaving the border we then set out on the 900 Km journey across New York State and Massachusetts to Boston. The thru State freeway is a toll road its entire length, 900 Km and it cost us less than $20 USD!!!!

It costs almost that much to travel the 40km length of the M7 back in Sydney.

Even though the drive by-passes towns and cities it was still a pleasant trip through some beautiful countryside. Chelle made me take a photo of the sign for the city of Springfield, although I don’t think it’s officially the one of cartoon fame.

We made it to our hotel late afternoon and the kids dived straight into the pool. Once again we lucked out, for some reason our booking was interpreted as two rooms so that’s what we got even though we had only pre-payed for one, woohoo not my problem. When Chelle broke the news to the kids she told Ryan she had “good news and bad news” the good news was we weren’t all sharing the same room and the boys and girls had their own rooms, Ryan wanted to know what the bad news was.

Dinner was a big Mexican meal down the road. Yes the Mexicans have even infiltrated this far North. It was a good pick we had a great meal much better than the fast food for lunch. I took a brisk stroll through the neighbourhood after dinner (I tell you this health kick will be the death of me), it seems a nice area, lots of old homesteads dating back to the 1800’s and lots of Stars and Stripes proudly on display.    

Tomorrow we head into downtown Boston proper, hoping to do a trolley bus and an amphibious duck tour.

Till then,

Bye  

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.