Existing Member?

2011 The Nightingale's Oddessy Our exchange year in Canada.

First week in Burlington

CANADA | Friday, 7 January 2011 | Views [315] | Comments [2]

Week One saw us usher in the New Year with the pick up of our car 90 km northeast at a town called Orangeville from an Australian family heading home at the end of their exchange.  This family have been very friendly and helpful and have invited us up to spend this weeekend with them at a place called Blue Mountain (Coincidence!!) After returning home - via a slight detour for some of us!!!! - we saw in the New Year at Mary Anne's brother's place in Hamilton west of us towards Niagara Falls.  Here we met her sister in law Alwyn, her friends Chris and Joe and another lovely couple (forgotten their names already - how dreadful!!!)

Saturday was spend recovering - not from drinking - but from a late return home (3.am) and as it was raining and a public holiday it was a good day to recuperate.

Sunday we explored around the lake shore of Burlington before returning to the warmth and attraction of the shopping malls.

Then school started for 3 of us!! Kids are having a ball and have seemed to made some nice friends.  They are really enjoying the playing involved with the snow and seem to be coping with the cold.

Day One was daunting, Day Two even more so, however as the week progressed I began to find my feet and although I am not anywhere near ready to teach without HOURS of prep and study, at least I am starting to learn children's names and can find my way to school and back - even when I'm NOT on the freeway!!

So the week ends as it begun with us heading out of town to spend some family time away with another australian family to give the chn their first taste of skiing...

Stay tuned...

Missing you all masses,

xxxxxx

Comments

1

It sounds pretty amazing. I hope the teaching is going well for you! I am still on holidays (YAH!!!) and do not envy you learning everthing. How are you with Canadian history? Got it all yet? I know you will do well, all the best.

  Jenny Richardson Jan 10, 2011 4:22 PM

2

Hannah wants to know if you are enjoying yourselves in the snow! What sort of things are you doing in the snow? You all look great and the house looks really lovely. Remember not to work too hard, Michelle, enjoy the whole experience. Miss you all heaps, love Sue, Steve and Hannah

  Steve, Sue and Hannah Jan 10, 2011 8:54 PM

About cheken


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.