Existing Member?

Travels

Day 30 (8-3): Chile Santiago

CHILE | Tuesday, 3 August 2010 | Views [280]

- An early morning (8 am as usual) and walked around Santiago Central. 

- Headed to San Cristobal noon-ish. Original plan was to walk up to the Virgin Mary statue (6 km), but by then I had already walked 4 hours, non-stop. Gave myself a break, and took the Funicular train up the summit. The Park (Parque Metropolitano de Santiago) is part of a chain of mountains which include the main hill San Cristobal. It is enormous containing the National zoo, a Japanese tea garden, a botanical garden, numerous swimming pools and picnic areas, and of course its main attraction Virgin Mary. The Funicular train takes you to the top, and you can get across the different areas of the park by cable car. Like most tourist, I am most interested in the Virgin Mary. Stayed at the summit for a bit, walked to the tea gardens, and headed back to the entrance by foot. Grabbed lunch at an Italian Restaurant (Little Italy area) at Bella Vista district.

- Capped off the walking day with a small hike to Cerro Santa Lucia. At the top of the stairs is the Mirador point which allows visitors to get a panoramic view of the Santiago city. The cannon fired at midday is located under the watch tower. Around the top is a beautiful chapel, a castle, numerous fountains and sculptures which form the Santa Lucia Park.

- Amazingly there are a couple Chinese grocery stores around my hostel. Read that Easter Island's food is super inflated. Don't want to overpack, but bought (hopefully) enough instant noodles, cookies, chocolate and snacks to feed myself for the 5 days at Easter Island.

About cee_402


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.