Existing Member?

Travels

Day 15 (7-19): Chile Arica

CHILE | Monday, 19 July 2010 | Views [265]

- Yet another 8 am morning. This has become a routine.

- Walked along Calle Colon all the way to El Morro. EL Morro is a giant rock, which looks like a sand dune from a distance and is visible from everywhere in town. Historically, it has a significant meaning as it marked the day (June 7, 1880) when Chilean troops captured the hill in a dawn attack (during War of the Pacific) when the Peruvian garrison had refused to surrender. There was a footpath which led to the summmit, and a couple early birds were already in the midst of their jogging sessions. Also checked out the war museum on the hill explaining the siege and combat along with displaying uniforms and canons of the war. For once, I walked out without knowing much more than I went in - hmm ... everything was in Spanish. At least the uniforms and weapons looked impressive.

- After checking the city map and getting additional information from the Tourist Center, decided to make my way to San Pedro de Atacama tonight. Took a collectivo to the bus terminal and bought a 10:30 pm Geminis bus to Calama. From there, I would take another bus to San Pedro.

- Had lunch at a La Bomba restaurant at the Fire Station, and hurried back to the `hostel`to check out. The owner was nice enough to let me leave my backpack with him until I leave for the bus terminal.

- Did a lot of walking thereafter. Walked across the Coastal Range (along the beaches), walked back, and walked the other direction to Terminal Agro - a huge market where most locals buy their fruits and vegetables. Finally settled on the bus for the return trip.

- At Plaza San Marcos (right next to 21 de mayo), there was a cute church and old custom, both built by none other than Eiffel before he became famous. Funny how I have been coming across buildings/structures designed by Eiffel along my trip.

About cee_402


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.