Existing Member?

Travels

Day 7 (7-11): Peru Arequipa

PERU | Sunday, 11 July 2010 | Views [255]

- Arrived at Arequipa at 7:30 am and checked into Posada del Parque Hostel. Posada del Parque was recommended by Walk On Inn, so I did not bother to do any research. They let me check in right away, and they have internet access, which were huge bonuses.

- I took a morning nap and had a rare nightmare. In my dream/nightmare, I was looking for a hostel, and every hostel that I came across were run by ghosts. How creepy was that? For a minute when I woke up, I seriously considered looking for another hostel. The room I was in is a 4-bed room and I was the only occupant at that time. For once I wish somebody was sharing my room ... at that instant.

- Checked out the San Camilo Market a few blocks down. The setting of the market reminded me of Cuzco: One section designated for meat, one for fruits, another for clothing etc and so on. I walked to a juice stall and ordered a Surtido (mixed fruits) to go. I must have made an extremely unusual request since all stalls provided stools for customers to sit and finish their drinks (in glasses). After much hesitation, she went ´Ah !´and started mixing my juice. In about 5 mins, she handed me my order ... in a plastic bag, double-bagged to prevent leakage, and a straw stuck in the bag. Haha! That was too hilarous! Never thought they could be so creative. Had lunch at a nearby food stall (also in the market) with my bag of juice.

- Spent the rest of the afternoon walking around the plaza and comparing pricing/itineries of the 3d/2n Colca Canyon trekking from agencies. A lot of churches and museums are closed on Sundays.

- Met up Victoria and Camilla at the Plaza (both parties were early at 6-ish pm), and as we talked about our plans in Arequipa, it happened that Camilla was interested in the trekking too. Victoria is recovering from her recent back injury and she decided to join the 2d/1n sight-seeing tour instead. First day pick-up from the hostel is 3 in the morning. We got a nice bargain from Colonial Tour and signed up for the trekking tour from 7-13 to 7-15. Victoria will join the 2d tour on 14th and 15th.

- Victoria looked up this cool crepe place for dinner/dessert. Cool No. (1) The restaurant had access to the roof which gives a great view of the main street (Santa Catalina), Cool No. (2) The restaurant provided a good selection of board games. Not knowing what we wanted to play, we picked up chess and cards. At our table, Victoria started telling us about this great card game ´Whist´she was addicted too, and that we had to try it. The minute she started introducing the rules, I realized ´Whist' is similar to Bridge, just the English verision. BRIDGE! How I missed Bridge and my Bridge buddies! We ended up playing ´Whist´ and ´Jenga´. (Google ´Whist´if you want to know how it is played) It was a mighty mighty fun.

- Since we are staying at different hostels, we will meet tomorrow at the Cathedral at noon to explore Sabandia area. Back at the hostel, a new roomate joined me at the room. I love it!

About cee_402


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.