Existing Member?

Travels

Day 4 (7-8): Peru Lima Downtown

PERU | Thursday, 8 July 2010 | Views [383]

- Started my day at 9 am. Found out from Christian at the hostel that the City just started a free bus service from Miraflores to Downtown and decided to check it out.

- Also bought a bus ticket (from Cruz del Sol) to Nazca for tomorrow morning at 03:50 am.

- On my way to the bus station, tried out another breakfast place next to Manolo and coincidentally met this same elderly, bearded guy I saw at Manolo´s yesterday. We started chatting and he introduced himself as Marco Valcarcel. With the help of body language and my Spanish/English phrasebook, I told him I was heading downtown, and he started putting ¨"X"s on the downtown map indicating the areas I should avoid. All went well until I finished my breakfast, and he offered to carry my backpack so I can put my jacket on. Hmm ... something smelled wrong. After I insisted I wasn´t cold, he held tight onto my Spanish/English phrasebook as I walked to the cashier and the cashier handed me a bill which included his coffee. Apparently Marco had no intention of paying, and was waiting for this new 'amiga' to pay for his drink. Whatever, it was only 5 sol ... After I paid, Marco gestured to repay my kindness by taking me to this nice restaurant (at least that was what I understood). I steadfastedly refused, said ´Adios´ and went my way.

- The new bus system is named ´Metropolitano´ and it covers 10 districts from downtown to Chorrillos. What´s so amazing about this free bus system is that the buses run on freeway (bus stops are located at the divider islands on the freeway) so there is little traffic. Buses run from 7 in the morning till 9 at night at every 5 minute. I was told this is a relatively new system (still in the testing stage), so it is free for all. I am sure when people start getting used to the system, the City will charge a shitload for its use just like everywhere else in the world.

- Typical churches, artesans, museums at downtown. One interesting place is this railway station (Desamparados Station) next to the Government place and just by the Rimac river, where the City converted as a musuem/exhibition hall/library/restaurant. The station is mostly for administrative use, but it does offer excursion services between Lima and the central mountain range.

- On my way back, I saw this little boy who won´t let go of the empty potato-sack his mom was carrying. He would throw himself on the ground just to snatch a corner of the sack, released his grip, chased after his mom, and rolled on the floor again for a snag. Not sure what was so magical of the sack, but it was hilarious! I started tailing the mother/kid even though I was supposed to go the other direction. Felt really bad for the mom coz she had to stop like every 5 second and what was supposed to be a 10 minute walk would take forever.

- Stayed up till 03:00 and took a cab with Aaron to the bus terminal. Aaron is a Dutch P.E. teacher and has been travelling for 2 months. His next stop is Huacachina.

Hostel Recommendation: Backpackers Family House (26 Sol/USD 9, 7-bed dorm) ***** - Staff friendly and helpful. Speaks good English. I opted to stay up for my bus, and when I tiptoed back to my room, I found Christian, the hostel manager sleeping on the sofa outside our room with an alarm clock (set at 3) next to him. And yes, they have hot water.

About cee_402


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.