Existing Member?

My thoughts about . . .

The weather—some relief . . .temporarily

CHINA | Sunday, 29 July 2007 | Views [507] | Comments [7]

One of my students called Wuhan “a stove”, another called it “an oven.” Wikipedia refers to it as “a furnace.” In any case, you get the idea--it's hot! Not just hot, but really really hot and muggy. . . ugh.

The first week here was awful. I didn't want to go out and explore the city not only because of the heat but also because of my constant sweating. Every time I went out, I made sure I had a couple of packs of Kleenex which I used to wipe the nonstop sweat on my forehead. As if the heat wasn't enough, the sky was gray,dull and with a constant haze.

Fortunately, there is air conditioning everywhere --at the hotel, in the classrooms, at the stores, in the taxis etc—kind of like the U.S. And just as in the States, there is a marked discrepancy between the outdoor and indoor temps. I have heard that Rome is suffering a heat spell. So, I should consider myself lucky to be in a furnace with a/c

Two nights ago, though, no a/c needed. There was a huge thunderstorm around 7:30. It was severe—trees were downed, roads flooded and the lights went out in the entire city of Wuhan. I was with some colleagues getting a foot massage (a future journal entry) and the lights went out for 2 minutes. We lucked out. Back on campus, however, 50,000 students were left without electricity for almost an hour. I am sorry for the students and the 9 million Wuhan dwellers BUT the upside is that the temperature lowered considerably. For two evenings it was a very pleasant (and unusual) 77 degrees.

But as the expression goes, all good things must come to an end. It is hotter than hell this morning at 9:00 a.m. The party is over --back to cranking the a/c.

PS  I just checked weather.com  It says the temp is 99 but it feels like 117 degrees. I swear it feels like 217 degrees!

Tags: the weather

Comments

1

hey sweetums..thanx for your journal entries... i am glad you are doing this..really appreciate reading about your experiences.
i remember what happens to me regarding perspiration when i travel to india during christmas. my body goes through a type of detoxification.
baci baci

  debbs Jul 29, 2007 2:49 PM

2

hi carol, sorry the weather is so hot. our whole family cannot take the heat. natalie set this up for me. take care. love mom p.s. nick is on the dean's list.

  maryjane Jul 30, 2007 2:21 AM

3

Hi Carol

Sounds like you are enjoying your visit to China; lots of adventures! The heat sounds terrible; good thing for AC.

Take care; have a safe trip; Love from All the Davis's

  Ann Marie Jul 30, 2007 9:39 AM

4

The only heat I can relate to in comparison was a summer day passing through Bear Lake Kansas when traveling the west one year. I was wishing for Dorothy's ruby red shoes to wish myself home since I was camping outdoors!...But wait that was where Dorothy was wishing to go. Can heat be relative too?
Sweet Sweating, Mary Anne

  Mary Anne Jul 30, 2007 10:38 AM

5

Carol - this is great. Its like being there with you. I was in China in 1984 - my hair was blonder then and people were really not used to seeing us non Asian folk. Gotta a lot of stares. I am curious - what is that like now in 2007? Do they take Americans, Italians, etc for granted? Jennifer

  Jennifer Davis Jul 30, 2007 10:04 PM

6

Hi Carol,
wow, sounds like you are being "steamed." Does this put a whole new perspective on Roman summers?

I am so glad you are keeping us up-to-date on your adventures. Can't wait to hear about the foot massage.

stay cool as you can cara.

  sharon Jul 31, 2007 2:22 AM

7

Carol, the heat sounds severe, but I'm glad you're still able to enjoy your visit. I love hearing about your adventures. I thought about you and your chopstick challenges when we went out to dinner at our favourite Vientamese restaurant...I had similar problems and had a good laugh over it. Ever consider coming to Canada to cool off after your Asian experience? Would love to see you. Lots of love, Bess and John.

  Bessie Kambouris Jul 31, 2007 10:42 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.