Existing Member?

My thoughts about . . .

"Are you on the Camino?"

SPAIN | Monday, 14 June 2010 | Views [316] | Comments [1]

On day 1, a wiry French guy asked me this and I responded defensively. “I did 100km last year. I think I can do 90km this time.” When 2 Spanish guys asked me, I laughed and just said, 'si'

Trying to be objective about it, I can see where the question comes from. I don't look the part. First of all, most walkers are in shape, hauling oversize backpacks and carrying a walking stick or two. I am out of shape, wearing a small day pack and oversize black sunglasses. Add a jean jacket, big pink scarf, some jewelry and it looks like I am going to the mall.

As I walked a couple of hours with two guys from Barcelona, I explained my attire. The reason for the scarf is three-fold—protect from the sun, mop sweat from my brow and dry my hands after washing them. I added that I hadn't even realized the jewelry since I have been wearing the same 6 rings and 4 bracelets for months now. The jean jacket was a fesseria.. As soon as I landed in Santiago de Compostela, I remembered the rain/wind jacket that I had left at home.

They admitted they weren't typical pilgrims either albeit they had packs and sticks. They stay up late at night talking, smoking cigars and drinking cerveza and then have a leisurely breakfast and don't get on the Way until late morning.

Talking about it on our Way, the three of us agreed that whatever our atypical behaviors may be, we were also typical pilgrims in that we take time for reflection and inspiration. Conclusion--It's your Way, do it any Way you want. 

Comments

1

Glad to hear you stood up to pilgrim peer pressure!

  Anna Jun 19, 2010 4:53 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.