Existing Member?

My thoughts about . . .

Hit the highWAY??

SPAIN | Tuesday, 16 June 2009 | Views [532] | Comments [2]

Some parts of the Way are alongside concrete highways. There is a strange feeling. You can walk for hours in a fairy tale like forest - huge trees that form a canopy over the dirt path, wild flowers with bright colors, birds chirping and little creeks with crystal clear water. It is such a quiet tranquil setting that it doesn't seem real.. Then, boom, it is real because the path comes onto the highway with cars zipping by so fast it makes your head spin.

I have come to learn that there are various paths on this Camino Frances. The woodsy fairy tale one and the modern concrete one. At various points you can opt for one or the other. Other times, there is just one option.

As I passed another walker this morning, we exchanged a few pleasantries. Hours later, I arrived on an unavoidable concrete part of the Way and decided to stop for an OJ. The woman I had spoken to and passed was sitting at an outdoor table at the cafe. Wait! How'd that happen? Was I so lost in my thoughts that I never saw her walk by me? That's when I found out there was a fast track to Santiago.

I, however, will forego the Speedy Gonzalez route and take the long way. I'll be on the lookout for Hansel and Gretel... BTW, were those kids Spanish??

Comments

1

E si. According to Senor Google: Hansel y Gretel (La casita de chocolate). ihih

Good thing you only have a day to go -- are there anymore "Way" words/headlines left?

Buen Camino.

  cheryl Jun 16, 2009 2:01 PM

2

good one, Cheryl...!

  LUCY Jun 17, 2009 6:59 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.