Existing Member?

360 Days of Adventure...continues A journey of a thousand miles must start with a single step. I aim to make each step a worthy part of my journey. Click the title above and join me ...

Brief stop in Hermanus Bay

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 3 April 2013 | Views [594]

Hermanus, the end of our Baz Bus journey was a brief overnight stop. Having arrived quite late, we had to wait until the morning to explore the town. The sun was out and it wasn’t hard to see why it is such a popular destination for the city folk from Cape Town looking for a weekend away.  The sea here, although cooler than near Durban, still benefits from being the warmer Indian Ocean. A small block of wooden chalet type shops house local arts & crafts as well as a range of beach town style clothing. Restaurant terraces crammed with tables and benches shaded by bright umbrellas are filled with people and their foreign sounding words and bustling waiters.

The beautiful coastal town of Hermanus is known as one of the best whale watching sites in the world – in season! Between June and late October the best land-based sightings of the day can be found by searching Marine Drive for the “Whale Crier” blowing his kelp horn to indicate the whales’ whereabouts.  Alternatively boat trips are available for those hoping for a more eye-to-eye sighting. The great Southern Right Whales come into the bay to calve and nurse their young between August and October each year bringing a huge influx in tourism and as well as the annual Whale Festival.

Hostel accommodation seemed somewhat limited but the Hermanus Backpackers was large and conveniently located. The braai and outside bar are found along the poolside with an extended seating area just beyond. I liked that there were two kitchens available for guest’s use. Free tea and toast for breakfast was much appreciated having arrived rather late the night before.

Meeting up with old friends, we were fortunate enough to see dolphins swim past alongside the restaurant’s bay windows.

Summer is fast fading and the southern winters are chilly and wet. Arriving in Cape Town it was difficult not to compare the stark contrast between the fine rain here and the hot sunshine in Durban. Known as The Windy City, Cape Town’s suburbs sprung up between the mountains but boundaries have since merged to cope with the ever expanding population. The mountains provide micro climates from region to region and heavy mists can plunge one area into drizzly fog whilst another enjoys sunshine. Certainly at this time of year, if you travel around Cape Town, you need to be prepared for several weather changes within a single day.

 

Tags: baz bus, dolphins, hermanus bay, travel buddies, weekend visits, whale crier, whales

About butterfly-freed


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.