Existing Member?

360 Days of Adventure...continues A journey of a thousand miles must start with a single step. I aim to make each step a worthy part of my journey. Click the title above and join me ...

Beach Life at Umzumbe

SOUTH AFRICA | Tuesday, 19 March 2013 | Views [718]

Umzumbe is located south of Durban on the Indian Ocean coastline. The beach stretches as far North as the eye can see lapped by the ocean on one side and disappearing into dense foliage on the other. The clear sea is perfect for swimming and surfing and we were happy to enjoy the warm water and soft sand, watching the surfers. Following the installation of shark nets around 12 years ago no incidents have been reported.

The Mantis and Moon hostel is about a 5 minute walk from the beach set amongst banana, papaya, makuhle and other trees I have no name for. The accommodation is a mix of dorms, chalets, tree houses and even a tepee, all accessed by raised wooden slat walkways that zigzag through the trees. There is a feeling of personal space in an eco-friendly environment. There are several communal areas, from the kitchen and lounge, to the funky bar as well as several terraces, a pool and Jacuzzi. It is one seriously laid back place with a decidedly hippie feel that makes you want to grab a tie dye shirt and gets dreds put in your hair! Pictures of Bob Marley, surfing posters and driftwood deco set against cheerfully painted walls, strategically placed hammocks and the hum of the sea make it difficult to do anything but kick back, relax and enjoy.

All the hostels seem to offer a wide variety of tours but for me, the unspoilt Blue Flag beach here is proving to have strong magnetic qualities. Due to some complication, Baz Bus were unable to fit us on today and have offered to put us up here for another night. Far from being a hardship, this is not a place I mind spending more time at.

Today the sun is really hot and there is not a cloud in the sky to provide any respite. An hour at the beach this morning was enough for me. I came back, via the most basic shop I have yet to encounter – but the only one nearby, climbed into the hammock on our balcony and promptly dozed off whilst watching wild monkeys foraging in the tree canopy above. It is hard to shake off the feeling that one should be doing something! Running my own business for a number of years has meant limited free time and now when there is no longer the strain, during or outside of business hours, I can see that reconditioning one’s mind-set is going to take some practice!

St Patrick’s Day seems to have reached every corner of the world, and a beachside hostel in South Africa is no exception. Dinner was served in the bar and followed by a short solo drumming session by visiting jembe drummer Richard. Baby Guinness shooters made from Kahlua and Amaretto liqueurs on top of a few Castle beers meant that by the time St Patrick’s Day actually arrived, we were well into the swing of things. Our group took turns at going from blonde to dark brown with a wig that belongs to a mannequin whose sole function is to sit at the end of the bar. He doesn’t have a lot to say for himself but his wig certainly kept us entertained for a while!

The generous free use of the internet here has meant that I have been able to upload all my photos, complete two blogs and post a couple of reviews on Trip Advisor. I have learned to write everything in a Word document and save it until there is internet available, but always completing my text for one destination before reaching the next.

We have enjoyed spending time on the beautiful beach here and staying in a little tropical jungle world where everyone is so friendly and staff seem to genuinely love their job (what’s not to love!). Following a 45 minute massage from Ray (also the surf instructor) I’m finding myself feeling several degrees closer to ‘chilled’. South Africa is definitely working her magic. Half of our group are enjoying the extra night here while the other half have gone on ahead. Tomorrow we meet up again in Coffee Bay….

 

Tags: baby guinness, beach, castle beer, hammocks, hostels, mantis and moon, shark nets, tepee, tree houses, umzumbe

About butterfly-freed


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.