Existing Member?

World Trip 2011

French Alps, March 2012

FRANCE | Sunday, 1 April 2012 | Views [991]

As I sit here using all my mental strength to resist the constant urge to scratch, I contemplate the parents of the little girl who gave me chicken pox.  Her parents said to us that she was feeling unwell on the drive from London to the chalet, but the penny dropped when she came out with bumps all over her body the next morning. “It will be fine” the collective audience replied. “Everyone’s had it by now, surely?”  Well actually it turns out that I hadn’t had chicken pox before and adults get it a lot worse than children.  In hindsight the child should have been put in isolation in her room but wandered throughout the chalet touching everything. I tried to stay away from her but it was inevitable. I have a fever, headache, sore throat and not to mention the bumps. It pretty much sucks. Cry baby.

On a considerably happier note, March as been pretty good. We managed to get two light snowfalls in the past month which was badly needed- both for the mountain, and my mental sanity. Danielle, myself and some friends have being doing short hikes along ridge lines and into nearby valleys to get some untracked powder. We have also been riding up at Val Thorens more because it’s at a higher altitude so it has more snow and better quality. We even managed a night out in VT which was a welcomed break from the Piano Bar in St Martin. One week we drove out to Les Arc which is a ski resort about an hour away. Although the weather wasn’t good we still had a good time exploring a different mountain.

From the 14-16th of March the European X games were on in Tignes. We couldn’t miss this opportunity to see the best in the world performing in our sport. The drive to Tignes only took about 1 ½ hours including a small vomit stop (Thanks Sy for getting none in the car!). The land rover had 3 mates in the back. Jenny, Jakob and Sy who had decided to come along for the day. We also got a free day skiing courtesy of having a 3 Valleys season pass which was a bonus. During the day we managed to see the Mens Snowboard slopestyle, Mens Ski slopestyle, the snowmobile demonstration and the Mens Final of the superpipe, as well as some exploring on the mountain, and a few laps of the terrain park. It was a massive day and totally worth. To see Shaun White and Louie Vito flying massive Playstation tricks over your head is simply awesome. This is the link to see Shaun’s winning run http://search.espn.go.com/shaun-white/video/6. I even got a high five from Louie Vito and the end of the final. Check the vid. Classic.

On the work front March has been steady but we did have a week with only 5 guests which was amazing. All the staff had a chance to get some much needed rest and recharge a little. The guests that week didn’t even stay for the whole week. It also looks like the relationship between the chalet staff and the owner has turned weird. The other couple that we work with have taken another job for next season at a different chalet after a disagreement with the owner. The owner seems happy with the professional job we have all done this season, but there seems to be something that is possibly personal to attribute the shift in his attitude. To be honest, Danielle and I don’t really care. Ha! We also found out that we are finishing on the 21st of April- 1 week earlier than we expected. Danielle’s pretty happy about that as she has been keen for a new scene. I’ve got mixed emotions. I’m keen for the work to stop, but I’m now counting the days of snowboarding that I have left. 3 more weeks. I'm already looking forward to Canada next winter.

Tags: 3 valleys, les arcs, snowboarding, tignes, x games

About brettcooke

profile

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.