Existing Member?

World Trip 2011

French Alps, February 2012

FRANCE | Tuesday, 6 March 2012 | Views [898]

Just another month of rubber gloves, skid marks and pubic hair that is the reality of my working life here in the French Alps (Gross I know!). But I have to earn my turns on the mountain I guess. It was a month of a Chalet that was jammed with non tipping guests every week. No other chalet in St Martin has as many people as consistently as us. This has been partly due to the midterm European break. The mountain has been packed with rude and pushy Parisians which has been providing me with no end of frustration (Get your F#$%#ing skis off my F#$%#ing board!!!). One positive through this period was a good friend of ours, Will and his girlfriend Jess came to stay for a few days. They had to sleep on our floor and do a few chores to earn their keep but it was good to show them around the 3 Valleys and have a few beers with them.

The weather has been crazy. The first 2 weeks of Feb were absolutely freezing. Daytime temperatures on the mountain were at about -20 with night time at about -30. It was intense but cold temps kept the snow in great condition and we managed a few sneaky powder days but that soon ended around the middle of the month. The temperature rose to spring time conditions with daytime averages of +10 which is so warm for the Alps. Added to this the freezing level was at 3000m so the entire mountain is now melting at a rapid pace and the snow is like boarding through slush. We have started to ride in the terrain parks more, hitting the jumps and rails and filming. We have also been skiing alot more because of the marginal conditions. Danielle is really starting to get the hang of it and is now parallel turning. We saw the Redbull/ Frost Gun Invitational event in Val Thorens which was an awesome display of airtime as well as relaxing with some mates at the local bar on our much earned day off.

 We also celebrated our 1 year anniversary of our travels! What an epic year it has been. Our flight back to Australia left without us on the 27th of Feb so we will have to find our own way back (Hello Visa card). But we knew this was the case when we took this job.

Once again thanks for tuning in to our adventures. We are up to 4082 views with over 200 views of the last posting, so due to the overwhelming popularity of the last video we have made another one. Check it out!

Tags: 3 valleys, chalet., skiing, snowboarding

About brettcooke

profile

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.