Existing Member?

random tales from strange lands this is a tale of my attempt to follow the summer to different parts of our world and how it appears to me

Heading Back Home

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 17 May 2008 | Views [594]

The last leg of our trip began by boat; retracing our steps (or wake, I guess) across Cook Strait, back to Wellington.  The sea had changed since our previous trip though; where the ferry had rolled gently like a lullaby cradle, now it swayed like a hammock on a windy day.  I found this kinda exciting, but it didn’t agree too well with Rachel’s tummy.  She was very relieved when we safely chugged into the shelter of Wellington harbour.  But we were both sad to farewell the South Island – the place which had given us two weeks of adventures, hot springs, snow, sunshine, forests, a family reunion and countless miles of stunning scenery. 

From Wellington we headed north, bound for Mark’s bach at Tongapurutu, north of New Plymouth.  A stop at a roadside seafood vendor provided us with some fresh mussels and oysters, which we decided to batter & fry for our dinner. 

As we drew closer to Taranaki, the sun sank to the horizon and Mt Taranaki showed itself above the nearer green fields of farmland.  The conical mountain had a good cover of white snow, which gradually changed colours as the dusk settled towards night until it became a spearhead of orange thrusting up into the black sky. 

The stars were out as we arrived in Tongapurutu and let ourselves in to Mark’s bach – a furnished old shipping container.  The big attraction here was the opportunity to have a hot outdoors bath – old style.  Mark has a few bath tubs beside a small stream, sheltered by manuka trees and ponga ferns, with a few glow worms hiding on the opposite bank :)

We gathered our wood & got a fire started beneath the tub as it filled with water.  A few manuka leaves on the fire gave the smoke a beautiful sweet smell, although it still stung our eyes a bit.  While the bath water heated, we devoured our battered shellfish, then returned to check the temperature.  Adjusting the bath temperature was a tricky balance of letting in more cold water through the tap from a spring, or stoking up the fire and waiting.  It didn’t take long to get the temperature right for us & we jumped in :)

After an hour of soaking our travel-weary bones, and turning our skin as wrinkly as prunes, we had to get out & try to quickly get dry & out on some warm clothes (Taranaki nights in early winter being rather chilly). 

After a cosy night in the steel box we packed up again for the last time & continued on the last leg of our trip, back home to Raglan. 

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.