Existing Member?

random tales from strange lands this is a tale of my attempt to follow the summer to different parts of our world and how it appears to me

Your Mother always told you not to...

NEPAL | Sunday, 10 September 2006 | Views [1054] | Comments [2]

1. Ride on a motorbike without a helmet.
So what better place to do it than in rural India, where the road rules dont really exist & the road itself tries its best to bump you off your seat.  Thanks Roman!!
And a repeat effort in rural Nepal en route to my jungle safari in Sauraha.
She'l be right mate!

2. Let someone poke in your ear.
He just came & said hello as i walked by in the centre of Delhi. He had a little book full of wonderful comments from past clients. And he certainly knew what he was doing, with his little tweezers, majic solution and scraping tool. And he removed enough wax from my ears to cover about 2 thumbnails. How does it build up like that???

3. Ride on the roof of a moving vehicle.
But in rural Nepal thats how you maximise the number of paasengers on a bus.  And besides, it only got up to about 25km/h! The passing tree branches and power lines were a bit of a worry tho!! ;)

4. Trust needles in the 3rd World.
But there was a blood donation day at the school where i was teaching (in Patihani, Nepal). It was run by the local branch of the Red Cross and each of the needles did come from an individually sealed plastic bag. I had to give them some of my blood. Its all the same isnt it :)

5. Get involved in protests in a developing country.
But i was in Kathmandu with a teacher friend for a few days and he was protesting with his colleagues for a collective change in their employment conditions from 'temporary' (after 10+ years) to permanent.  I did try to keep a low profile, as much as a 6ft white guy can in a crowd of 5'5" brown faces. And it was a peaceful protest... on that day!

6. Drink untreated water
Yeah maybe she was right about this one. But ive only been sick once (in Kathmandu) so far, so im not doing too badly i guess?!  ;)

this list will keep growing i think...

Tags: Misadventures

Comments

1

I wonder if he is the same old geezer I met in 1989? He cleaned my ears and I then wished he hadn't as the Delhi din was deafening!

I'll try to post some pics of that time soon.

Have fun.

Simon

  simon_monk Jul 30, 2006 12:00 AM

2

I like having excess wax in my ear. It helps tone down the noise. As I put my earplugs in for the night, my big, fat, and loud Indian roommate shouted, "PETER!! why do you wear those things in your ears?"

No response needed.

  Peter Jul 30, 2006 5:44 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.