Existing Member?

random tales from strange lands this is a tale of my attempt to follow the summer to different parts of our world and how it appears to me

Lost on Mt Karioi??

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 18 April 2008 | Views [1194]

After 3 summers in Raglan, I finally got around to attacking Mt Karioi.  I had spend a lot of time looking at the mountain, from the beach, from the surf club, from the road into Raglan.  I could almost picture myself standing on the summit amidst the lush native forest.  

Finally the time had come! Rachel & Mick were keen to join me on the mission to the summit one fine saturday morning.

We started our trip at the Karioi lodge, on the fringes of the native bush, leaving our names chalked on their board in case we got really lost.  We were packing cameras, food, water and a little celebration bottle for when we reached the peak.  It all felt surprisingly heavy as I began the narrow track up from the lodge. Surely it'l get lighter as i drink the water?? I was hopeful.

Rachel & I had already walked the first half(?) of the track a couple of weeks earlier, up to a lookout point.  There was a little sense of deja vue, passing familiar trees and tripping on roots growing out of the track.  We had a rest, as we did last time, at a giant Puriri tree which was fun for climbing (a few monkey noises may have been made too).  

After a while we passed the lookout pint which had been the turnaround point of our previous trip.  We were into unknown territory now!

After more uphill slog we reached a steep exposed rock, presumably with the track continuing on the other side.  So we careful clambered up, to be well rewared with spectacular views over the lower reaches of the mountain's forest and the surrounding countryside.  Luckily it wasnt too windy, because it felt like a strong gust could have easily blown you right off, down to the trees some 50m below.  

Further up, the bush thinned out a bit and we struggled to see the irregular wee triangular markers indicating where the trail went.  We did find a couple on a rather poor trail along a ridge, but this didnt lead anywhere except into thick bush above what seemed to be a rather high cliff.  Back a bit we found a sort of trail down a steep slope, so off we went, holding on to trees and vines, only to find a slip had taken away all of the land in front of us.  We contemplated trying to find our own way across, but decided not to.  Probably a good choice!  After back-tracking for about 15min we discovered another branch of the trail and an official DOC sign pointing to the summit. Woohoo!!

The trail from then on was very well marked and easy walking.  We were just stoked to have found the main track again, so we could hopefully get all the way up...

And we did!! Hooray!!

As soon as we sat down under the radio mast and dropped our bags, out came the bottle of bubbly!  It had even managed to stay fairly chilled on the 3 hour climb. But im sure we woldn't have minded too much if it was warm anyway.  

The cork duly popped out an flew away into the forest below us (it is biodegradable ay).  Then we got our first sips of the celebratory plonk :)

Rachel managed to get a text message through to Jen to pick us up at a different trail end on the opposite side of the mountain to where we had begun.  So this saved us having to descend back the way we'd come.  Phew!

Descending was considerably easier - lighter backpacks, no fighting against gravity and the warming feeling of bubbly in our stomachs and heads :)

The last part of the descent took us through some farm land, where Mick was amazed to see a couple of wicked looking old cars rusting away quietly in the paddock.  He couldn't resist jumping in and letting his imagination transport him back to the 50s.  

Back in Raglan, Mick & I headed to a friend's place for a well-deserved spa.  It was a great end to the mission, up the hill, almost lost amongst the vines, then the joy of reaching the summit.  

Maybe I'll give it a go next summer too...

Tags: mountains

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.