Existing Member?

random tales from strange lands this is a tale of my attempt to follow the summer to different parts of our world and how it appears to me

An Anzac Departure

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 25 April 2008 | Views [762]

Our adventure began at the crack of dawn on Anzac day, although there was no gunfire following our footsteps, as those of our true ANZAC forebears.  Our challenge was relatively simple; load the car with whatever we might need for the trip, in less than half an hour.  I was heading off with my girlfriend, Rachel, on her first ever trip to the South Island. 

Our first stopover was the metropolis of Otorohanga, to accompany Rachel’s Grandma to the Anzac service.  This was also the scene of our first miscalculation (but not as costly as the ANZACs geographical error).  We had arrived 2 hours earlier than we needed to!  And woken Grandma up too!  The flipside being that we got a nice hot brekky and cup of tea.  We paid our respects at the service, walked Grandma home, then got back on the road.  Our target for that evening was Wellington, where we had a concert to attend the following day.  Not just any concert either – this was ‘Homegrown’, 100% kiwi music!  Many of our favourite acts were performing and we had only got hold of late tickets thanks (or no thanks) to a scalper on the internet.  Salmonella Dub, Black Seeds, Tiki, Ladi6, Shihad… so much good music that you’d need a whole tree to shake at it. 

Before we set foot in Wellington, we passed a couple of iconic Kiwiana sculptures – Ohakune’s giant carrot and Taihape’s giant gumboot (made of corrugated iron, no less).  We duly admired, photographed, climbed and worshipped these icons, hopefully bringing good fortune to our trip that followed? 

When we arose from the hotel room on Saturday, I think I must’ve crawled out the wrong side of bed, or maybe the elevator really was out to get me??  The bright sunshine didn’t manage to fix my cranky mood, but the first beats of Salmonella Dub certainly did :)  From then on, I was smiling and boogeying my way through the day.  We even managed to run into a couple of friends randomly amidst the crowds. 

As the evening was drawing towards the end, Tiki hit the stage.  But by then we were all tired out and couldn’t muster the energy to get on our feet to enjoy the beats. 

We had Sunday in the city to recuperate and do some touristy things – like Te Papa (NZ national museum).  It was Rachel’s first visit and she gave it the deserving label of ‘choice’.  A very solid recommendation in kiwi-speak.  We managed to sneak into one exhibit designed perhaps more for children – a life size (but hollow) whale’s heart, as if we had stumbled into the Moby Dick fairytale like Alice into Wonderland. 

We also spent a while entertaining the Sunday strollers along the waterfront with some juggling antics.  One day we really will run away and join the circus!  Until then, I guess we’re just apprentices. 

Tags: festivals, museums, roadtrips

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.