Existing Member?

random tales from strange lands this is a tale of my attempt to follow the summer to different parts of our world and how it appears to me

Top of the South

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 27 April 2008 | Views [660]

At last we were on the ferry, bound for new and exciting lands – New Zealand’s South Island to be precise.  It wasn’t long before Rachel got her first glimpse of the Mainland – a rough, magical looking coastline with lush, tree-covered slopes.  Luckily the sea was fairly calm for the crossing and we reached Picton with our breakfast still safely in our tummys.  With no deadlines to meet now, we found a spot of grass by the sea for a picnic before heading off on mountain bikes to explore nearby tracks.  We both managed to wipe out on bumpy or muddy sections of track, but eventually made it to Snout Head.   Rachel was in awe of the beauty of the expansive views – the crystal clear waters just below us, stretching away to the deceptively distant shores of the Queen Charlotte Sounds.  Definitely too far (and too cold) to swim!  The mussels growing nearby were very tempting, but they were saved by our fear of the cold water. 

The following day we were heading south, maybe to Kaikoura?  Our first stop was not far down the road at an appealing bakery, where we stocked up on essentials – biscuits, more biscuits and a bit of bread too.  We managed to bypass the famous Marlborough vineyards, with their rows of autumnal leaves, hoping to have time for them on our return trip north. 

Soon we were within sight of the Pacific Ocean and crossing rivers flowing east to meet it.  A little further south, the road seemed to be cut into the side of coastal cliffs and it wound its way around bays and headlands where the only residents are the content-looking seals.  We found a couple more seals snoozing near Kaikoura too and I tried to sneak up on one of them, but not within range of his sharp teeth.  We also found a beautiful little spot for a picnic beneath a Pohutukawa tree by the beach :)

As dusk crept in we were heading for the mountain resort town of Hanmer Springs, lured there by the promise of beautiful hot springs.  We didn’t count on it being school holidays though, which meant the pools were not as peaceful as we’d hoped, but still a great way to relax after a long day in the car :)

I spent the next day exploring trails through the extensive forests surrounding the township; alone with my mountain bike and then walking with Rachel.  We were amazed by the beauty of the forests in their autumn splendour and felt as if we had stumbled into some fairytale forest and might meet Little Red Riding Hood just around a corner, chatting to a couple of pixies.  I think we probably would’ve if we’d tried some of the funky-looking mushrooms growing there!!?? 

Tags: forests, hot springs

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.