Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Last day of 2011!

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 31 December 2011 | Views [712]

Roni was up early being entertained by the ever energetic squirrels of Tooting over a cup of tea while she read a book before attempting further catch up on the journal with some success. Bray emerged eventually and after getting clean, packing our gear and chilling out for a bit we baked croissants for breakfast and had a real coffee again – yum! Clare hadn’t emerged yet and we had guests coming so hit the road – leaving Clare a wee pile of croissant and cheese scone with a note.

On our way to Tooting Broadway tube station we were waylaid by an op shop that turned out to be a treasure trove! Bray finally found suits that fit him – two deluxe ones for a grand total of less than 20 quid...plus a new cheese-cutter hat while Roni snapped up some wintery gloves and such for a couple of quid. Awesome.

By now we were really pushed  for time so scampered off to the tube and home in time to tidy up and unpack some of our gear before Laura and Rawiri arrived. We were all a bit peckish by now so wandered up the road to the Co-Op for dinner, next day and beverage supplies before hitting Sam’s for a chicken based late lunch (after 4pm by the time we got home and ate it!). After catching up on everyone’s Christmas celebrations and listening to music we moved on to cards and beverages while taking turns to find old school tunes on YouTube.

A late nibble of pizza and chips had to keep us going before heading to Roni’s cousins’ place in Lambeth. The rain was coming down but we caught the tube and had umbrellas so all was fine. On the tube the ‘umbrella game’ was born...and so Bray had a lump on his head for NYE!

On arrival we hugged cousins, shared stories and beverages before getting to know the eclectic mix of people there until it was time to walk down to the Thames for FIREWORKS – excitement!! (yes...mainly for Roni) The rain had stopped by this stage so everyone was happy with that.

We four ended up separated from the cousin-based crew apart from Lucas the Lithuanian but saw the fantastic fireworks in with much cheering amidst the hordes. Roni had borrowed a container of bubble mixture from the cousins so blew bubbles all over the show – fun. Bray hugged a few randoms after the NY had arrived and we learnt how to say ‘Happy New Year’ in Lithuanian before walking back to the cousins’ place.

Here there were more beverages, some pizza and numerous chats with a few games before we decided to head home. The walk to another tube station was shared with Lucas our Lithuanian and Ben the keyboard player. We got there eventually amidst the hordes all heading out/heading home from the fireworks and made it safely home to Maida Vale. Time then for bed/couch to sleep – a good night had by all!

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.